Author Topic: How to properly strip and season chrome plated CI?  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Robert Valdez

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
How to properly strip and season chrome plated CI?
« on: December 30, 2013, 01:39:50 AM »
My first piece of cast iron cookware is chrome plated on the exterior and bare cast iron on the interior and I was hoping you'd help guide me before I ruin this nice pan. 

I was planning on stripping and seasoning this pan for my personal use.  The chrome coating appears to be in good shape.  There's a few stains on the outside chrome surface, and I'd like to clean those areas to see if the chrome plating is still intact underneath.

For ease of use, I was planning on stripping the pan with Easy Off oven cleaner.  The oven cleaner has a warning to not use it on chrome.  I'm confused because I've read to treat the chrome coated CI pieces just like bare CI pieces.  Also read that people soak these in lye baths. 

So what's the general consensus -- if the piece has a poor chrome coating with bare CI poking through in places it's best to just strip the entire pan (interior and exterior), but if the chrome coating is good, should I just strip the interior of the pan with the bare cast iron, and use a more gentle method on the exterior chrome?  Is bar keeper's friend safe to use on the chrome exterior?

As far as seasoning, I was planning on using PAM cooking spray (new low temp method described in the forum).  Do I season both interior and exterior or just the interior if the chrome exterior coating is solid? 

Thank you in advance!

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
Re: How to properly strip and season chrome plated CI?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 01:56:37 AM »
Hello Robert, and welcome to WAGS!!
Thanks for posting!

Are you using Yellow Cap Easy Off??

The consensus here has been to put them thru the lye bath (or oven cleaner), just like regular unplated CI.

You may also need to do some rust removal, because lye/oven cleaner will degunk, but will not remove any oxidation.

If the chrome or nickel plating is solid on the exterior, no seasoning or oil would be needed. (It will turn a yucky brown)......... If worn or missing in spots, then you would need to apply some sort of oil to prevent future rusting.

Now don't forget to post up a picture of your skillet... we love pictures! ;)

Here is another thread on the subject: 
http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1043123990/0#3

PS... I am going to move this post over to the Cleaning and Restoration Board... not to worry!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:00:24 AM by lillyc »

Offline Robert Valdez

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 02:27:09 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply Cheryl! 

Yes, I was planning on using the Yellow Cap Easy OFF - says Heavy Duty on the can. 

For rust removal, if needed, I was planning on using a white vinegar bath. 

I think there's a pictorial .pdf on this forum where someone uses bar keeper's friend (BKF) after the lye bath.  That's a fairly strong acid (oxalic acid).  Is that to help neutralize the lye (strong base) and does that step damage the CI at all? 

Is it ok to use the BKF on the chrome surface for spot treatment / regular maintenance like on stainless steel?

I'll work on the pics once I'm finished, provided I don't completely destroy this thing in the process!

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 02:46:17 AM »
Vinegar bath is a good choice for de-rusting... just check frequently (every 30 minutes or so).  I scrub under cold running water, and if any rust remains, then return for more soaking.

The BKF does help when washing off the lye and neutralizing.  I use it sparingly, and only after lye bath on unplated iron surfaces. It helps to break up superficial rust and gunk.   My Wagner skillets tend to develop light spots from the BKF, so I don't let it sit on the surface very long.
I use only Stainless Steel scrubbies for my wash downs, and 'running' water at all times. The only time I use hot water is for scrub down after lye bath.  After that, COLD running water only.

BKF should work well for maintaining intact chrome surface.... But would not be good on seasoned iron surfaces, IMO.

It is difficult to find chrome plated pieces in excellent condition, and I usually avoid plated pieces.
Keep us posted on your progress! :)