Author Topic: Just a quick note on a newer seasoning method  (Read 22962 times)

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
Just a quick note on a newer seasoning method
« on: October 13, 2008, 09:00:41 AM »
Many folks have used the method of seasoning that we have posted on this site.  At our latest WAGS convention in Iowa, I was listening to a WAGS member describe his seasoning method and the results of his wares that he was selling were amazing.  The cast iron was dark, shiny and well I was impressed. His methods, I'm trying to work out now, involve low temperature and PAM.

I have used PAM in the past and it is amazing as it seasons items while you cook.  So I started to experiment with other items.

Place a freshly stripped item in the oven and set the oven to 225F and bring the item up to temp for 30 min.  remove it, spray with Pam and then wipe off all the excess, so that you don't have any on it ( you do of course, as you can't wipe it completely clean/dry).  Place coated item back in the oven for 30-60 min and then remove, after it has finished its baked on finish.  That's it.

No smell in the house from elevated temperatures and the baking of the Crisco from the other method.  I have a #10 wood handle griddle that I just did and I'm about to try it to make pancakes for the twins, so we'll see how it does with this method.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:58:20 AM by admin »
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
Re: Just a quick note on a newer seasoning method
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:42:59 AM »
Well the griddle worked PERFECT!  even did some egg whites and some turkey bacon on it
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:42:02 PM by admin »

Hud

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 03:45:08 PM »
Greg, did the iron turn black at that lower temperature?

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:39:55 PM »
Greg, did the iron turn black at that lower temperature?
Actually that was one of the reasons I did it, as it does.  You can likely go higher in temp for really dark.  The top of my new griddle is like nonstick now, with just one seasoning.

I remember several years ago experimenting with PAM on the grill outside and it got really black!!

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 09:51:49 PM »
Did you put the wooden handle in the oven on the griddle as well, surely you must have, yes? And no damage?

Offline C. B. Williams

• Administrator
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of collecting cookware!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 09:34:09 AM »
Perry: I don't think 225 F. for a short time would hurt the wood other than drying it out and thus causing some shrinkage. That's only 13 deg. above boiling. Now if it had paint on it, there might be a problem with that. I'm not going to argue with success, but I don't see how only 225 can cause the PAM to harden, because it is made to keep things from sticking at much higher temps. I used my infrared thermometer last night to get the temp. of the skillet bottom before searing 2 steaks, and it read over 450, before adding the olive oil and the steaks.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 02:06:51 PM by cbwilliams »
Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

livens

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 11:33:20 AM »
Greg,

Which type of PAM did you use? There are several out now, High Temp for grilling, some have Olive oil added... I think there is a Organic/All Natural one too.

I use PAM on my waffle iron, and its slick as snot now. Funny I never though of seasoning with the stuff before.

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 10:12:26 PM »
Took the handle off.

Let me go see what Pam it was......Original 100% natural

Offline Lee Sumner

• My Name Is Nobody
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 11:42:13 PM »
Took the handle off.

Let me go see what Pam it was......Original 100% natural

Thanks Greg, I have a stripped down pan i will try this on [smiley=appl.gif]

Offline Lee Sumner

• My Name Is Nobody
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 08:44:30 PM »
Tried this method on a Wagner 1891 original that I had since the early 90's and recently stripped it back down to Iron and as you know it's a rough casting cooking surface but i gotta tell ya this worked like charm. Fried an egg and it slid around like Teflon  i was impressed. I think this method works great for rough cooking surfaces it seems to penetrate the pores better, now i need to try this on a smoother surface to compare and give a better opinion.

Offline Paul Beer

• WAGS member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 11:26:55 AM »
I use the Pam orignal and it is the best for seasoning...IMO...also good to use right after cleaning a pan after use and before putting it away. I will use crisco and then just before taking it out of the oven hit it with the pam and wipe down..

Steelheader69

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 12:49:16 PM »
Great seeing this thread.  Rivers receeding enough to get out.  May head up and pickup some lye to do my pans.  Then I'm going to try seasoning using this method.  Since most of my pans will be users, this is great.

One question, with Waffle Irons, will you need to still use a q tip to get some of the excess Pam out between the raised points?

Offline Paul Beer

• WAGS member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 07:19:45 PM »
Never done Waffle Irons Jerry but would believe you need to get all excess pam out and off...the WI guys may have a better method..

maloney108

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 08:09:20 AM »
I tried this method (modified slightly - since I can't seem to leave any recipe alone) on 4 pans and I really like the results!

First day I put the bare iron pans in the oven at 300 degrees and moved it up 50 degrees every half hour to 450.  As we know, this got the color darker and more uniform.

Next day I got them up to 225 and did the PAM thing.  After an hour, just for yucks, I jacked it up to 350 for another half hour - the color got a little darker and it looked great.  Less smell than the Crisco method too!

I've cooked in three of them so far and the proof is in the pudding - they performed flawlessly.

This is how I'm doing it from now on.  Thanks Greg for sharing this!

Offline Ray Benash

• WAGS member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 01:34:04 PM »
Great info! Thanks for sharing. I have an "extra" #7 Oval Roaster and a #14 skillet lid that I am going to put through electrolysis, so this is very timely. I've been using Crisco for restoring and maintaining. Going to go to this method for sure now for both maintenance and restoral.

Great site. Thanks again.
Ray

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 08:58:56 PM »
Try Q-Tip cotton swabs
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Steelheader69

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 11:35:49 AM »
I'm hoping to take some pans out of my lyebath today, clean them, then season with new method.

But will add this.  I've been adding the pam to my pans when I'm cooking (those seasoned with the crisco method).  I can say this, it's putting a nice black patina on those as well.  I'll put a nice coating on the pan as it's warming up, and has been darkening it up fast.  Had the brown patina before, but is turning nice.  

Steelheader69

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 11:40:38 AM »
Oh, I should ad.  I got a pan (#10 wagner) that was cleaned and seasoned from ebay.  Had the tiger striping in the pan.  Been doing the pam "on the stove" method.  It's a nice even black patina now.  Noticed that the other day.  All the brown is gone, and is nice and smooth throughout.

Offline Ray Benash

• WAGS member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 01:02:59 PM »
Been playing with this since the original post. Used the #10 Gris yesterday to make up some Brussels sprouts (break them up down to the hearts, cut hearts then high temp them all in a little EVOO, S, P until a little caramelized, then splash with some balsamic). This was a restored pan with lid. So of course after every use I am trying to rebuild the patina. Warmed oven to 250, slid the pan in, waited about 1/2 hour. Pam spray and wipe. About 30 min later, just a wipe with the towel then jacked the temp to 350 with pan in the oven. 30 min later opened and wiped again just with the towel. Then just let it come back to room temp. This pan is now turning a nice jet black with a very even coating.

I've been using Crisco and higher temps previous. This method is definitely worth working on until I have it down. The pre heat before spraying is key. Much like other methods. I have not been religious about pre heating and this definitely was the trick today. Also wiping well to remove excess and then wiping during each interval to redistribute.

Almost makes me want to run the #3 back through, but I'll wait until I use it again. Which is pretty often. Next time I will just let them come back to temp in the oven after the stint at 350.

I really liked working with the Crisco, but bacon fat was better. Crisco left things brown for me even at high heat.

Definitely would like to hear from others that are using this method now, especially with fresh iron out of the restoration process.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:05:17 PM by rbenash »
Ray

Hud

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 03:33:23 PM »
Definitely would like to hear from others that are using this method now, especially with fresh iron out of the restoration process.
I always preheat my cast iron after the initial cleaning with lye or electro.  After a piece, say a skillet, comes out of the drink, I scrub it thoroughly under running water.  I shake off the excess water and immediately put the skillet in a 500 degree oven for about an hour - with no oil on it.  The heat blackens the metal.  Then I take the skillet out.  It takes two hot pads to prevent the handle from burning my hand as I then apply canola oil on the hot metal.  I put it on liberally and then wipe the excess off with paper towels.  Then back in it goes for about another hour.  When it comes out the second time it's nice and black.