Author Topic: Just a quick note on a newer seasoning method  (Read 22964 times)

bd354

Re: Just a quick note on a newer seasoning method
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 07:29:53 PM »
  I  must be doing something wrong, if I preheat before oiling I almost always get rust.

Steelheader69

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 12:35:51 AM »
Funny this thread was out during my last flood.  LOL.  

George, are you putting your skillets in wet?  If you do, even slightly wet, they will acrue rust on them fast (flash rust).  

And this new method with pam works WONDERFULLY!!!  That #10 Wagner I'm using as my daily user is awesome.  Nice and black now.  It's just like my nonstick pans.  If something does stick, a quick scrape with a spatula and it's gone.  Works wonderfully.  A little oil and off we go.  I'm done with the preheat, toss on the crisco, and heat the crap outta it.  

Offline Al Andrews

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 12:06:28 PM »
If you have a gas oven, you may be getting moisture from you gas and that could cause rust?

Al

Charles_A._Burger

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 07:29:08 PM »
So, anybody know what's so special about the Pam?

Charlee

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 08:47:58 PM »
I don't use anything else anymore....

One of the benefits that I've found is that it's much easier than Crisco or vegie oil to apply...

Steelheader69

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 02:04:07 AM »
Charles, I think it's what Charlee said.  It's the ease of using it.  You get a good coating quicker without the heavy heat to melt down the crisco.  Plus a quick wipe and you're good to go.  I love this method, and won't use it.  BUT, I will do some cooking with crisco.  Help darken the pan up a bit more.  Just a bit in the pan instead of oil.  Though I do have a tendency to do a quick spray with crisco as I'm heating the pan up now.   ;)

Offline Sandy Dittmer

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Question about Pam method
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2009, 10:46:52 AM »
I am a newbie, and have been posting my heart out since I found this great place.  I hope you all don't get sick of me anytime soon!

I am really interested in this Pam method of seasoning, but I am a bit confused.  You are warned constantly not to use Pam or any similar type cooking spray on non-stick pans because of the propellants getting gummy when they are heated.  Any glass baking pan I've ever used Pam on (for bread or cakes) comes out gummy if I've oversprayed onto the outside or handles, etc.  So what gives?  Why don't the propellants make CI gummy too?  I'm not arguing with the proof......everybody seems to love this method, and I am going to try it today myself.  I'm just curious as to the science behind why it is working so well and not getting sticky.

Thanks to any of you scientific minds who might be able to answer this question for me.

Sandy

fatfutures

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 11:02:23 AM »
Sandy, I'm sure there are some scientific minds here that can help you out with your question. But, a lot of us (ok, ME) just go on blind faith!  ;D All I know is that it works! ;D

Hud

Re: Question about Pam method
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 01:10:20 PM »
I am a newbie, and have been posting my heart out since I found this great place.  I hope you all don't get sick of me anytime soon!

I am really interested in this Pam method of seasoning, but I am a bit confused.  You are warned constantly not to use Pam or any similar type cooking spray on non-stick pans because of the propellants getting gummy when they are heated.  Any glass baking pan I've ever used Pam on (for bread or cakes) comes out gummy if I've oversprayed onto the outside or handles, etc.  So what gives?  Why don't the propellants make CI gummy too?  I'm not arguing with the proof......everybody seems to love this method, and I am going to try it today myself.  I'm just curious as to the science behind why it is working so well and not getting sticky.

Thanks to any of you scientific minds who might be able to answer this question for me.

Sandy

You can always use canola oil out of the bottle if you're worried about Pam.  Just be careful to not use too much.  After you put it on the pan, wipe it off till the skillet looks dry.  The biggest mistake I've made in the past is to use too much.  Then the piece comes out of the oven with black spots where the oil beaded and baked.  If the piece is a user, then it's no big deal.  

Offline Jesse and Kim Dunfee

• Forever in our hearts!
  • I Walk By Faith Not By Sight
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 04:14:56 PM »
I wondered the same thing Sandy. Its just my thinking that those brown/black sticky spots are the oil in pam doing what it does to season iron. Only difference is the temp isn't hot enough so it stays sticky. And isn't it almost impossible to clean off?

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2009, 04:54:22 PM »
I agree with what Dan says. I use Canola Oil, brush it on with a paint brush, then using an old T-Shirt wipe it off until it looks dry. It's been a long time since I've had any black sticky spots. One hint: if you use a paint bursh, just make sure it has natural bristles instead of poly ones, cause the poly ones kinda melt.... :o
Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2009, 08:53:03 PM »
The only reason I avoid the canola oil / brush method is that it's way to conveient to just spray it with Pam. I spent way too long burning myself brushing on crisco, at the cost of some layers of skin.  ;D The Pam method was a blessing. Now all I need to do is buy stock in the company, and make my purchases start paying me some dividends. ;)
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

stepper

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 06:26:18 PM »
So how durable is the Pam seasoning? Do you have to reseason often? Does it burn off if you bake biscuits in a skillet at 450?

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 09:05:49 PM »
I just found this thread and am very intrigued by it.

Andrea first of all the Pam on glass.  I use it all the time because it works!  Things don't stick to glass when you use Pam.  If it sticks and gets gummy I just scrub it with a Scotch Brite and I am good to go.  Is this hard on glass in the long run??  Who cares as I can buy a new 9 X 13 glass pan at a garage sale for $1.  I don't think that a green Scotch Brite will scratch glass (at least it has not yet).

Second.  Using Pam to season cast iron is the only way to go.  I used it before I even found this site.  I think that the only trick is to not scrub your pan with soap and water.  I only wipe them out when I am done.  If I get something that sticks (which is inevitable with any cookware) I just boil a little water in it and your good to go.  

The secret to not getting the gummy oil coating is either high heat (I use 500 F) or long periods of time at low temps.  Once the piece has been seasoned (only carbon left on the surface) it is very very durable and you do not have to worry about it coming off during regular cooking applications.

My advice to you is to just try it out.

Light Pam coating plus high heat until flat black = good seasoning

This is only a start as a well seasoned pan will take some time to complete.

I spray Pam on my skillets nearly every time I use them.  I may not need too but I do.

Try it out.  You will not be disappointed.

stepper

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2009, 12:00:29 PM »
Thanks, Jeff, I'll give it a try when my can of Crisco runs out.

Sandy, the propellants in Pam are nitrous oxide and carbon dioxide.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol_spray
I don't think it's the propellants that become gummy.  They evaporate off during the spraying. The sticky parts on your baking pan handles are most likely globs of oil that were too thick to harden during baking. Pan seasoners would wipe off most of the spray to an ultra thin film before baking it, unlike cooks who spray it on pans and don't wipe.

stepper

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 12:34:52 PM »
An internet search to investigate why cooking sprays get gummy on Teflon turned up info about cooking sprays containing tiny amounts of methyl silicone.  Wonder if this is why Pam makes a slick seasoning?

Prairie_Gal

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 11:11:32 AM »
Well, that would explain the slickness AND the need for high, high temps for curing.  After all, most silicone cookware says it's safe to 450 degrees or so...so you'd need to exceed that to get it to "melt" and adhere.

Offline Brenda Jerles

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 02:07:20 PM »
 Has anyone used the Butter flavored Pam or used Off Brands? I just wonder if they work the same. Asking because I have some off brand butter flavored and would try it if I know I won't mess up my skillets!

Offline Jesse and Kim Dunfee

• Forever in our hearts!
  • I Walk By Faith Not By Sight
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 05:52:22 PM »
everyone has there favorite oil to use. I have tried many and always go back to solid Crisco. Really can't say what the extra things in a flavored Pam would do. If it don't work, strip and do over.. :)

Offline Jay Jones

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 02:55:21 PM »
Newbie question here (and great forum by the way). I am seasoning my first Griswold skillet. Stripped it with lye, removed rust. The skillet was light iron colored at that point and looked great. Following this thread I put it in preheated 250 degree oven for 30 minutes to dry. Then I sprayed Pam and wiped it off with a white t-shirt, cooked 30 minutes at 250 and wiped down again. Then I ramped it up to 350 for about 45 minutes, then turned oven off and let cool overnight.

The piece didn't get very dark at all, and certainly is not "jet black". I slapped some eggs on it this morning to test and they stuck a little. They stuck in one dime sized area while cooking, and then there was some egg "residue" on a spot about the size of a silver dollar. I cleaned with water and nylon brush and applied a thin coat of Pam to prevent rust.

Should I reaseason again at 250 to prevent the sticking or just use it and allow additional seasoning to build up? Am I expecting too much for the eggs to stick so little? Did I mess up by putting on Pam after I cleaned it this morning, since now the Pam isn't going on a hot skillet for a second round of seasoning? Should I go hotter to get it darker or just leave it? Thanks for the help. I just don't want to strip it and start all over. I mean it is kinda fun in a way, but...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:02:15 PM by Jabos »