Author Topic: Just a quick note on a newer seasoning method  (Read 22963 times)

Offline Brian Vick

• WAGS member
  • WagnerWare the other cast iron!
Re: Just a quick note on a newer seasoning method
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 03:38:10 PM »
Jay,
Most of us on here crank the oven up to 400 or more then oil, wipe and back in the oven for an hour or more in my case!
OB ;D

Offline Jay Jones

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »
Jay,
Most of us on here crank the oven up to 400 or more then oil, wipe and back in the oven for an hour or more in my case!
OB ;D
So where do I go from here? I've got it sitting with one seasoning round on it and Pam on a cold skillet. Can I do round two at the high heat method now, or should I strip and start over?

Offline Brian Vick

• WAGS member
  • WagnerWare the other cast iron!
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2013, 04:05:01 PM »
Jay,
OB ;D
So where do I go from here? I've got it sitting with one seasoning round on it and Pam on a cold skillet. Can I do round two at the high heat method now, or should I strip and start over?
Jay,
Why not give it a try what have you got to lose ;)
OB ;D

Offline Jay Jones

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2013, 04:17:54 PM »
Okay Mr. V, but you have to come over to Oklahoma and strip it for me and mess with the lye if it doesn't work.  ;) Guess I am babying it a little too much.

Offline Claudia Killebrew

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »
Just season it another time, or two. Then use it. The blackness comes with time. I remember the days before Lodge pre-seasoned their stuff. The first couple of runs through the seasoning process they were still brownish. In time, they became that lovely jet black.

Offline Jodi Nielson

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2013, 04:33:15 PM »
make a batch of cornbread in it......there are many members that swear it's the best way to season a skillet. ;D

Offline Jay Jones

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2013, 04:40:09 PM »
Thank you all. It is a little information overload to a newbie like me and I fear making a mistake. I'll season it at high heat and then just use it, and plan on what to buy next.  :)

Offline Jesse and Kim Dunfee

• Forever in our hearts!
  • I Walk By Faith Not By Sight
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2013, 04:42:53 PM »
If it was me....JMO...I would strip it again. Just one layer of season should come right off overnight. Then do what you did the first time just crank the heat up..400-450. You need the higher heat to turn it black.

Offline Jodi Nielson

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »
Jay, one of the best things about CI is that if you screw up, you can always strip it and start all over again!  It's very forgiving--unless you do something completely thoughtless like take a grinder, sand blaster or stiff wire wheel to it and for those offenses, it will never forgive you (and neither will we, at least not after you know better).  ;)

Offline Jay Jones

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2013, 04:56:20 PM »
No grinder! I picked up on that pretty quickly on here.  ;D Okay, I guess it isn't too hard to strip and start over. This is my first Griswold piece, a number 9, and I will likely use it the rest of my life. I guess starting over isn't a big deal in the grand scheme. It was fun to strip it down naked. This piece was in great shape to start with, but I bet it is fun to bring a rusty one back to life. Be joining WAGS soon and getting the books. What a great hobby. Thanks!

Offline Scott Sanders

• Administrator
  • I'll look for iron just about anywhere
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2013, 06:44:42 PM »
Jay.....Welcome to the WAGS Forum.  It sounds to me like you did everything right.  When cooking eggs you do need a little oil or bacon grease to prevent sticking.  Also, don't try to fry them with a high heat....a low to medium heat will do and help prevent sticking.  I wouldn't bother stripping the skillet again.  Just use it and it will get darker.  It doesn't hurt the iron at all if at some time you want to add another coating of seasoning in the oven.  Just do it as though you are adding an additional coating....warm the skillet in the oven, spray with PAM, wipe down real good and then wipe again, and go ahead and season at 350 or so and gradually crank it up to 450 or so for a while.  Let it cool off and you should be ready to go.  Remember, start your cooking off at lower temperatures unless you are trying to sear something.  Have fun with your cast iron.

Welcome again,
Scott  
Register as a Bone Marrow Donor and give Blood when you can....The life you save is someone's Loved One.  https://bethematch.org/support-the-cause/donate-bone-marrow/

Offline Chuck Fredrickson

• LADY LIBERTY not cast iron but well seasoned
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »
Jay - welcome to the forum, you've gotten a ton of good advise. What Scott points out regarding coking is most important. low to medium heat and give the skillet time to come to temp before you start cooking in it. That's the one thing I like about cooking in cast iron - it sets the pace. When searing you'll want a high temp. What I've come to do is heat the entire skillet in the oven to 375-400F. Have the burner going before you pull the iron and lay a thick rib eye in there for a quick sear both sides then back into the oven 7-8mins. yumm

~chuck

Offline Jay Jones

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2013, 11:33:21 PM »
Thank you all for the kind posts. Cooked cornbread on her last night (which turned out great) but found the seasoning started to come off. There was a spot that came loose easily and it continued to come off really easily. I could scrape it off with my fingernail. So, I stripped her and reseasoned her tonight at high heat, 450 plus. She is cooling now and is dark, after a third round. After seeing the results for myself I think this low heat method isn't optimal, but that is just based upon my limited experience. I really appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:49:51 PM by Jabos »

Offline Andy Robillard

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2013, 04:17:53 PM »
Thanks for the helpful advice about using Pam in the seasoning process!

I would sincerely appreciate and love some advice from the forum members on the cleaning process before attempting to season the piece.  I have used electrolysis to successfully clean my pieces but haven't had much success with seasoning them.  Do you / how do you clean your pieces immediately after using electrolysis but before putting them in oven to dry? I find that after using electrolysis there is still a black-ish residue on the pieces.  I have used Barkeepers Friend to clean it off, thinking it will give a clean bare metal surface on which the oil can polymerize.  After completing the seasoning process I find that the hardened oil coating comes off the pan, leaving the metal exposed in places.  Is this an issue with how I am preparing the CI prior to the seasoning stage or an issue with my seasoning process?  Any help and advice is appreciated!  Thanks!

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2013, 04:32:37 PM »
After electrolysis, I scrub down with Stainless Steel Scrubby and Dawn Dishwashing Detergent, under COLD running water.  This final wash down is critical in 2 ways:

1. Cold Water = less flash rusting
2.  Copious Rinsing ensures that ALL soap is gone... very important.

Dry immediately with paper towels until no residue is left on them.

Into 250° oven for 20 minutes, to dry.
Then I increase oven temperature to 500° prior to beginning seasoning.

I never use BKF in the final wash down, only after the lye bath, before derusting.

More importantly Andy, can you tell us How you are currently seasoning your iron?

1. Temperature
2. Type of Oil
3.  Steps to your process and lengths of time.

Offline Andy Robillard

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2013, 04:49:59 PM »
Thanks so much, Cheryl!

After electrolysis, I have used BKF to scrub off any of the remaining black residue.  I then rinse thoroughly off all BKF and then use standard Palmolive dish detergent to wash thoroughly again.  As you mentioned, I use cold water for all of the washing & rinsing to avoid any flash rusting.  I then towel dry and place in an oven pre-heated to 250 degrees for a half hour to fully dry.  Immediately following the half hour I season the piece with flax seed oil (food grade) while the piece is still hot, making certain that the layer of oil is very thin.  I then place the piece back in the oven and leave it there for an hour at 500 degrees (the highest setting my oven can reach).  I then leave it in the oven to fully cool down and then repeat the whole process about 3 or 4 more times depending on the result.  The pieces come out a very dark brown and look very nice but the coating doesn't seem to last long.

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2013, 04:56:27 PM »
Andy the flax seed oil is your problem.  I know it is all over the internet as the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it flakes off.  I've seen people post about the same problem over and over again.  Try solid Crisco or Pam original formula and your problem will go away.
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2013, 05:02:21 PM »
Yes, Andy.
Roger is 150% correct.
This is why I asked the questions I did! <had my suspicions>

I use PAM, and heat the piece to a higher temperature before seasoning, so that when it is sprayed on, the pan is above smoke point (smoke is good), then thorough wipe down and into the oven for 1 hour.

Offline Andy Robillard

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2013, 05:53:34 PM »
Thank you, both Roger and Cheryl!

I will try the Pam approach and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Offline Andy Robillard

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2013, 11:31:25 AM »
Hi Cheryl & Roger,

I've been meaning to get back to you on this for several weeks but was sidetracked by the holidays.

I tried your seasoning advice on a Wagner #9 dutch oven and my prized Griswold Hearts & Star waffle iron.  The pieces turned out much better and darker than any that I've seasoned to date.  I think the key in this was the advice I received to bake the pieces at 500 degrees for an hour without any kind of seasoning at all prior to the oiling process.

Afterwards, I used the DO to make some jambalaya and was amazed that the cooking surface really did have a Teflon kind or property to it.  The veggies easily slid around as I was sautee-ing them.

I plan on using the WI for New Year's Day with the family.  I'll admit, I am a little nervous because the piece looks pristine now, I put a lot of work into it, and I hope that I don't mess it up by cooking on it.

I sincerely appreciate all of your help and wanted to thank all of you for your advice.  I'll let you know how the WI works out next week!