Author Topic: Lye Newbie, all Set Up  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Stacie Lorenson

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
Lye Newbie, all Set Up
« on: January 05, 2014, 08:15:26 PM »
I know this isn't a big deal to those who've been at this awhile, but we finally got the lye bath all set up and I've been out admiring the results. Seems to be working very quickly and I'm a little surprised by some of what I'm seeing underneath the crud, some in good ways and some in not so good...

This is a 10 Gal can with a lid (2 cans of lye), set up in the tool shed where we have a little heater making it a nice balmy 45 degrees out there, gloves and safety glasses within reach, stir spoon hanging on the wall, small plastic tub next to it to set things in.
A couple of pics of the works in progress-

Turkshead before starting

After a day in the lye

I sure hope these pics come through, and are they ok for size?
Stacie
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:38:27 PM by Sighridh »

Offline Stacie Lorenson

Re: Lye Newbie, all Set Up
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 08:31:38 PM »
A couple more, and seeing if I can get better picture sizing this time  :P

I'm really surprised at how quickly things are happening, and I fear that no pan in the house is safe now, we'll have a little assembly line going in no time!

I am disappointed in how much damage is on that Andresen Heart Waffle pan that came from my Grandmother, and how much rust there seems to be under all that carbon. Nice thing is the working surface inside looks like it might be fine when this is all done, and I won't feel bad about using it!

I'll have to put down some plastic around the tub to catch drips as I move things around, but otherwise I think it's looking ok.

I wonder if anyone know what that Aebleskiver/Monk (?) pan is? It came along with the gem pan and I haven't been able to find anything on it so far. No base to it.

Stacie

Offline Stacie Lorenson

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »
Here's the Monk pan-

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:39:17 PM »
Stacie, this is a perfect example of why we say  "You NEVER know the condition until it's been cleaned and restored".

Now isn't that Lye just something to watch working???

Do not freak over how nasty some of the pans can look when you first take them from the lye.  The first scrub down is always the worst, and once that is done, the change is miraculous.  It is not unusual to find some nasty rust under the layers of old seasoning.  After scrub down, you will be better able to assess how much rust is remaining that needs removal (derusting). 

Does the turkhead seem to be stripping? <can't tell from the pic>

Pic sizes are fine, #1 and #3 could even bump up a bit larger, but are still okay!

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 08:41:19 PM »
That Monk pan looks familiar... bet Tom will know... once the markings are clean and clear, post up another pic of it!  Luv that handle though...  :) :)

Offline Stacie Lorenson

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 09:50:14 PM »
I was shocked at how brown/black the water turned after just a couple of hours! That is amazing stuff and if I'd tried it as an experiment without knowing what would happen I'm sure I would have thought I was ruining whatever I had put in there!
It is scary what some of these look like right now, it'll be interesting to see how things look when it's all done. Sure is an educational experience!

Yes, it looks like the coating is starting to loosen on that Turkshead. I can see a couple of spots between the cups that are bare now, so hopefully it will come along fairly fast. Sure was stuck on there good and hard though.

Hopefully I can get some better pictures as it goes along.

Stacie