Author Topic: Could I have baked some "yuky" into my seasoning?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Shane Lewis

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Could I have baked some "yuky" into my seasoning?
« on: January 07, 2014, 06:46:40 AM »
 I've got a nicely made, unmarked #8 that I have stripped, seasoned, and have used several times.

I had some bacon goop stick the other day, so I put hot water in it, ate, then scrubbed the pan with a plastic pad.

Dried the pan, got it warm, coated it with some lard, then baked it for an hour at 400 like I normally do.

I noticed the pan had a dull, brownish, almost rust look in the cooking surface just a little bit ago before I made breakfast, which was fresh spinach that I fried in butter, and two toads in a hole( egg fried in the center of a piece of toast).

Spinach did OK, but I noticed a sticky substance, while wiping the pan out. Eggs stuck worse than anything before.

I did notice that the pan did not bead water in certain areas, so I scrubbed it with oil and salt.

Iwonder if I screwed up and baked some bacon sugars or something into the season? Will I have to strip and start over?

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
Re: Could I have baked some "yuky" into my seasoning?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 01:22:18 PM »
Probably the bacon sugars at work.

Newly seasoned pans don't seem to do well with those bacon sugars.

I never use salt on my seasoned pans.

My IM pan didn't like the sauteed mushrooms the other night....

I finally broke out the SOS pad (GENTLE,Gentle) scrub.

I'd bake on a few more coats before stripping and starting over...

Offline Shane Lewis

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 06:35:53 AM »
Tried this pan twice since this post.
Worked OK the first, thought it was getting better, but this mourning, it stuck pretty bad again.
This pan has been seasoned probably 10 times. The bottom of the cook surface always has a matte look to it, while the sides of the cook surface and the outside are getting a shine to it. Its almost as if the bacon is taking the season out of the pan. Makes a glue like stuff that a steel spatula will not get off. Bacon does this in my other pans, but the "glue" comes right off with a spatula, like it is on top of the season, not inside it.
Oh, I use lard, Crisco, and canola oil at differant times on all my pans, if that helps.

Offline Shane Lewis

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 06:39:07 AM »
Oh, I have made and apple crumble type cake with lots of sugar in this pan before and it fell right out like cornbread, if that helps also.

Offline Ken Davis

• Everything tastes better on iron.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 11:38:58 AM »
There are things in bacon cure besides sugar. Some of them burn down worse than sugar.

Try a different bacon to see if it works better ... worse.