Author Topic: Where to dump - lye and electro water  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Guy Charles

• My fat inner child is screaming to get out!!!
Where to dump - lye and electro water
« on: March 15, 2014, 10:27:56 AM »
I've been surfing the forum, but can't seem to find the answer.....so I thought I would post the question.

Where do you dump the nasty lye water and electro water when it gets way toooo cruddy?  On the grass? Storm drain?

Offline Brian Vick

• WAGS member
  • WagnerWare the other cast iron!
Re: Where to dump - lye and electro water
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 02:32:50 PM »
I've been surfing the forum, but can't seem to find the answer.....so I thought I would post the question.

Where do you dump the nasty lye water and electro water when it gets way toooo cruddy?  On the grass? Storm drain?
Guy,
Lye water NIX on the grass and storm drain The water can go down the drain (NOT SEPTIC DRAIN) the heavy solids I would put in a spare 5 gal bucket and dispose of at the dump. Electro should seldom if ever need changed if you use lye first JMO
OB ;D

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 03:21:42 PM »
Electro water can go on your lawn with no problems.
My lye water will be dumped on my gravel driveway and diluted with more water from a hose. Maybe it'll keep weeds from growing there, who knows. I think diluting it as much as you can is the key wherever you put it. Drain cleaning strength is a lot stronger than a lye bath so shouldn't hurt your pipes..don't think it would be good for a private septic system though..could kill beneficial microbes. 

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 03:49:04 PM »
Lye makes an excellent vegetation killer, and is much cheaper than Ortho ground clear.  Kill strength last about 1 year.

My lateral can always use a good cleaning.  :)

No lye into Septic system.  Mark is correct, it will wipe out the microbes.

Electrolyte from electro... sewer system or water the lawn. 

Offline Guy Charles

• My fat inner child is screaming to get out!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 04:00:25 PM »
Thank you all for the input.  Looks like I can clean my drains and kill weeds on my property. 8-)

Offline Neal Birkett

• WAGS member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 03:15:01 PM »
As stated, do not put lye into your septic tank. 

However, lye can go down the municipal sewer.  It is after all "drain cleaner."  The amount we use is generally need to dispose of is only one to several cans in a large volume of water.   I heard many years ago that municpalities in general never object to lye from local industries, because their biggest pH problem (acidity/akalinity of a water solution) is excess acid.   
Best Regards,
Neal