Author Topic: To clean or not to clean?  (Read 5230 times)

Offline Melanie Kern

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
To clean or not to clean?
« on: April 13, 2014, 02:25:58 PM »
Hi - I'm not a collector but I purchased a Griswold #8 2058 (?) hammered Dutch oven with lid at a yard sale yesterday for $2.   I'm interested in re-selling on eBay.  But my question is, as collectors, do you prefer a piece in as-is condition and clean it yourself, or would you rather see it cleaned up before being put up for sale?  Thanks so much for your time!

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
Re: To clean or not to clean?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 02:34:26 PM »
Hello Melanie, and welcome to our Forum.

As a collector, I have learned one lesson well:

You never know the true condition of a piece until it is cleaned and restored.  Many times the old seasoning and rust will hide condition issues.
(hairline cracks, pitting, scaling, etc.)

So I will bid higher on 'restored' pieces.

With that said, however, I also ask questions as to HOW a piece has been cleaned and restored.  Doing it properly is as important to me, as not doing it at all.

Sand or bead blasting... big NO NO, use of power tools (grinding or wire wheeling)... big NO NO.... 

So... I'd rather see a piece cleaned and restored (but only if done properly!)  :)

Offline Melanie Kern

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 04:54:19 PM »
Thanks for the quick response. So I will attempt to find the best, safest way to restore it and only after I've done that, will I list it. Thanks! 

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 05:49:01 PM »
Melanie, that is just my opinion. 
Others here may offer other viewpoints.
Check out our Cleaning and Restoration Board, and ask any questions there. We are very happy to help others learn the cleaning techniques that work best!  :)

Offline Jim Glatthaar

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:25:43 AM »
Melanie, I haven't sold any piece on ebay, but, like Cheryl, I will bid higher for a piece that has been properly seasoned.  If the seller's description does not describe the seasoning method, I will ask.  Most sellers who are proud of their seasoning methods will gladly explain the method they use.

Also, welcome to WAGS.  You can learn a great deal on how to season and care for cast iron pans from the WAGS forums.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 01:56:22 AM »
I totally agree with Cheryl here.  If you don't know what you are doing then leave the piece alone. Remember,  the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Offline Bob Henrick

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 06:50:29 AM »
Melanie, I too echo what Cheryl has told you and I also endorse the advice of going to our cleaning and restoration board. You will be amazed at what you find there. fooling around with cast iron has a serious danger of catching a disease known as castironitis so be careful.  :)
Bob H.

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 08:44:23 AM »
Melanie, I don't think I've ever seen one like that. Would love to see a pic or two. That was quite a good find for 2 dollars!

Offline Claudia Killebrew

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 11:51:33 AM »
I'm not a collector, but I agree with the others. If I'm going to spend more than a couple of bucks, I want to know what's under the crud. But only if you get the crud off without damaging the piece.

Offline Melanie Kern

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 04:17:12 PM »
Funny thing is, the inside looks like it was never really cooked in.  But the outside is, well, gunky.  Like mold and grease or something.  Inside of lid looks like it was never used!

Offline Melanie Kern

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 04:18:33 PM »
more pix

Offline Melanie Kern

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 04:29:01 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their help!  In these two pix, you can see where the grime line starts on the handles, right where the lid was on.  Looks like the lid was always on and the grime kinda grew around the lid.  I don't think those are utensil marks, I think they had stuff stored in the pot.   :(

Offline Mark Zizzi

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 06:01:10 PM »
Melanie, That is a very nice hinged lid DO and should clean up beautifully.  I don't think they are very commonly found...others will know more about them than I do. I do believe it was cooked in, by the bottom..the inside of DO lids stay pretty clean if not exposed to the elements. Hard to imagine nobody ever cooking with it ever. The inside marks do look like utensil marks, but I suppose something else could have made them. Sure wish I could find one like it for 2 bucks! Bet it goes for well over a hundred on ebay.  Unless you plan on buying and selling more cast iron, this might be a candidate for the oven cleaner/plastic bag method. If you think you will be acquiring more pieces, a good lye bath setup might be in order. Don't see any heavy rust either, vinegar bath might be all it needs, instead of electrolysis. Can't wait to see this all cleaned up. Please post more pics when you're done.  8-)

Offline Melanie Kern

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 06:15:37 PM »
I don't really plan to 'collect' cast iron, I just picked this one up because it was hammered and I figured it would have more value than an average Griswold DO.  And for $2, I figured I'd take a chance lol.  Could you refer me to the plastic bag/oven cleaner method?  I clicked on the link at top of page for cleaning, but it only discusses lye and electrolisis... THanks!

Offline Mark Zizzi

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 06:58:57 PM »
Well, I haven't done it myself, but it's basically spraying everything down with the oven cleaner..probably while it's in the open garbage bag..and wearing gloves. Then sealing the bag so things don't dry out. Check it daily and spray more on stubborn spots. There are different grades of Easy Off, look for the yellow topped can..read the label and make sure lye or sodium hydroxide is listed. Others will probably come along that have more experience with this method...but that's about it in a nutshell. Pick up a stainless steel scrubbie (walmart has them), scrub it down under running hot water and dawn..when it's clean you're going to want to either season it quickly or rub it down with some food grade mineral oil or the bare iron will form rust quickly. If you find rust after it's cleaned, a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water soak should work..time involved depending how bad it is...every piece is different. Could be an hour, could be several hours. Just keep checking it, when the rust turns black and shows no red after scrubbing, I think you're done. Again, I'm just going by what I've read..help me out here Cheryl..or anyone  ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:47:01 PM by mark21221 »

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 07:11:48 PM »
Types of Oven Cleaner

Place the pieces into heavy gauge plastic garbage bag.  Spray all surfaces with oven cleaner. Seal bag and allow to sit in a warm place for several days.  May require multiple applications. Scrub with a stainless steel scrubbie, hot water, and dishwashing liquid. (Barkeepers Friend is sometimes used for the first scrub.)

After scrub down and thorough rinsing, soak items in a 50/50 Vinegar-Water solution to derust.  Check every 30 minutes. Scrub with cold water, SS scrubbie, and Dishwashing liquid.  If there is still remaining rust, return to solution for 30 minutes. Repeat as necessary.

Soaking too long in vinegar solution will harm the CI, so check frequently.

Offline Melanie Kern

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 07:21:17 PM »
Terrific!  Thx!

Offline Melanie Kern

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 09:22:47 PM »
Lid is looking good after the oven cleaner method. Pot still needs some work. I'm going to use the curly stainless scrubby - I dont have to worry about scratching it?

And I hope I make $2000 on this pot when I sell it, because I accidentally put a paper towel w easy-off onto my $2000 granite countertop. Permanently damaged.  Uggggh >:(

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 11:36:02 PM »
pssst... Melanie.... most Homeowner's insurance policies will cover the countertop 'accidental' damage....

Offline Melanie Kern

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 08:27:35 AM »
woah!  Good to know.  Thank you for that.  My husband may let me out of the basement with that info lol