Author Topic: Washing your cast iron with soap, an old wives tale or real risk?  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Shane Lewis

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
I know most say not to use soapy wather with your cast iron, but what is the real reason?

Is it because it makes food taste soapy?

Maybe the old timers didn't do it because the soap had lye?

I don't use soap, but I use hot water and a plastic scrubby all the time, but don't see what a mild dish soap can hurt as long as it is rinsed and dried.

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
Re: Washing your cast iron with soap, an old wives tale or real risk?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 11:54:23 AM »
The soap thing is about removing seasoning.  To me if the soap removes seasoning then the piece probably wasn't seasoned enough to begin with.  I don't use soap either, but some people do.   
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Offline Gary Salsman

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 01:28:43 PM »
Soap will not remove seasoning, but will remove excess oil. Most people re-oil pans after cleaning anyway, so that is not that big of a deal.  If all we had to do to remove old seasoning is scrub with soapy water, there would be no need for lye baths, electros, etc.

Offline Frank Burkhead

• I Bleed Rust
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 05:39:31 PM »
As far as I'm aware, it has more to do with dropping your cast iron in a sink and letting it soak. A quick wash and dry has never hurt my iron, but I make sure to never just put a dirty pan in the sink and walk away.

Offline Ken Davis

• Everything tastes better on iron.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 06:10:35 PM »
The only time my CI sees soap is right after a vinegar bath ... if I do one. I use very mild foaming liquid hand soap and rinse several times while scrubbing with a soft synthetic-bristle brush. After seasoning, everything I own almost always comes clean with very little effort. If anything ever sticks or burns on, I heat it with a bit of water in it and gently "cook" it loose ... never a rapid boil. After cooling and washing in cold water, I dry in the oven at 200° with the door ajar for 15-20 minutes (or on a low burner) then rub down with a light coat of Crisco shortening while still warm.

Offline Rick Gilley

• WAGS member
  • WAGS:  Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 11:36:51 AM »
If I am cooking something that might leave an strong odor in the pan...I wash it with soap. I don't scrub it, just a quick wipe down in soapy water. Then its right back on the stove to heat it up, spray it with Pam and wipe it down again. Never had any problems with seasoning coming off.