Author Topic: E-tank & stainless steel anode  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Tom Chism

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
E-tank & stainless steel anode
« on: January 25, 2015, 03:15:21 AM »
I've read where its not a good idea to use stainless steel for the anode in an E-tank because it releases Chrome III. Any truth to that?

I'm new here so I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong section.

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
Re: E-tank & stainless steel anode
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:59:23 AM »

Nope, no concerns with it.

Concerns with Hexavalent Chromium occur under high temperatures (+2000°) and in plating processes where the Stainless steel carries the Negative charge...  (I.E. plating facilities etc...)

My electro top temp on a very hot summer's day is probably about 110°, so no concerns here.

Check the Best Threads sticky at top of this board for some past information on this issue.   

:) :)

Offline Dwayne Henson

• Administrator
  • When the people fear their government, there is
Re: E-tank & stainless steel anode
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 10:58:34 PM »
You might check out OSHA's site, or call your local University and talk to a Chemistry Professor. Describe an E-Tank, the D/C charger, stainless steel and ask about hexavalentchromium. Be prepared though, my professor laughed.

Now in saying that if you do not feel comfortable using stainless steel...don't. I'm notoriously tight and for many years used flattened #10 food cans. They don't last long, but will work.
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson