Author Topic: Pans not taking to seasoning  (Read 8332 times)

Offline Robert Hynes

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
Pans not taking to seasoning
« on: February 10, 2015, 08:34:54 PM »
Rookie question I know, but some of my cast isn't taking the seasoning process at all... Cleaned a bunch of iron the last week or so, started seasoning some of it tonight.

Example is a wagnerware, went through different processes but nothing. Hour in the oven, very thin skim of crisco, back in for a cook but comes out blotchy. It's like the oil forms black dots and dry spots.

I don't get it.

Yet a $5 Levcoware was ready to fry after one coat. Bought it for a friend of mine but I may keep it. Made some eggs and sausages in it tonite, great little skillet.

Offline Gary Salsman

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Re: Pans not taking to seasoning
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 10:23:58 PM »
I had one once that had dry spots, actually dry all over. It was because I left it in the vinegar for too long, and the iron was etched. The spotted issue sounds like it was put in the oven with too much oil.
Needs to be wiped all off, then wiped a few more times.

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:28:34 PM »
Haven't given these pans an extended soak in vinegar, just enough to neutralize the lye.

Lots of scrubbing with coarse steel wool, then fine wool and all good.

Come to think of it, my big BSR is the same, can't season that thing evenly for the life of me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:39:56 PM by roberthynes »

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 07:57:06 AM »
If it's blotchy, it sounds like you are not wiping off enough of the oil. Is the pan you are seasoning cold, or have you warmed it up?

Offline Dave Sommers

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 11:24:03 AM »
If it's blotchy, it sounds like you are not wiping off enough of the oil. Is the pan you are seasoning cold, or have you warmed it up?

Maybe that's my problem as well. *note to self ... go from an 1/8 inch of Crisco to 1/16 inch and see if the splotches disappear. Seriously though .. I thought I had a thin enough layer on and the pans were warm. But I guess I need to wipe more off .. although the first couple of pans I seasoned this week came out ok.

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 12:32:02 PM »
I'm wiping the entire pan, then using a dry paper towel to take up the excess. Tried seasoning the pans both hot, and letting them cool down til it's warm to the touch.

it's like the oil pools leaving dots of blackened oil and leaving dry spots. Possible that it's running too hot?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:40:28 PM by roberthynes »

Offline Claudia Killebrew

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 01:26:08 PM »
Try putting your grease (whatever you're using) on a warm pan. Then wipe it all off. Put it in the hot oven for about 15 minutes, take it out and wipe it dry again. Then put it in the hot oven for an hour, let it cool in the oven.

Some people take it out and wipe dry multiple times. Some people raise the temp of the oven every half hour or so. Ask 20 people the best way to season and you'll get 30 different answers.  ;D :D

I don't think you're doing it too hot. Some people season at 500 degrees, so unless you're trying to season in the self clean mode, I don't see how it could be too hot.

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »

Robert, may need to go back to the beginning....
Can you list the steps that you use when you CLEAN your Iron?

and Robert, here is a link with tons of information for you.
http://www.wagnerandgriswold.org/Attachments/CR1317608375.pdf

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 02:27:42 PM »
Over the summer, it was all electro. Give it a good scrubbing with coarse SS wool (or whatever it's called), then fine steel wool. Then season.

Now it's the lye bath, soak for a day or two, dip in vinegar to neutralize the lye. Same good scrubbing with coarse and fine steel wool til clean.

I've tried the BBQ and oven.

It's not all the pans, some take the seasoning well, others are stubborn. It's like the oil doesn't stick to the pan properly, pools up and creates small dots.

I've used crisco lard, and spray pam, same result.

Offline Dave Sommers

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 02:37:39 PM »
Would pictures help?

I was thinking of posting some pics of how my skillets came out yesterday.

Dave

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 03:08:58 PM »
Would pictures help?

I was thinking of posting some pics of how my skillets came out yesterday.

Dave

Please do, be nice to see if it's the same issue.

Either way, i'm going to start over, toss the skillets back in the lye bath for a while.

Offline James Wilson

• Cracked, not broken.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 06:14:20 PM »
Hi Robert.
We often hear from people who are ignorant of the correct method of cooking with seasoned and unseasoned cast iron.
Given the multitude of 'helpful' products out there to better assist us ::)
I don't know what 'miracle' products are being promoted over your way so I am maybe stretching out a bit here; perhaps the items have had a silicon based coating applied?
Maybe the items in question have been coated with food grade silicon spray ?

I don't rely on, or use vinegar to neutralise the ph of caustic, I don't believe it is required. Just a good rinse off with cold water then soak and wash in fresh cold water, with a bit of detergent, then into the electro if needs be.

Haven't given these pans an extended soak in vinegar, just enough to neutralize the lye.   -   Lots of scrubbing with coarse steel wool, then fine wool and all good.  --   Come to think of it, my big BSR is the same, can't season that thing evenly for the life of me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 06:26:34 PM by james »

Offline Dave Sommers

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 06:49:47 PM »
Some pictures of my problem. Should I just go ahead and use them or try to season them again?

Offline Robert Hynes

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 06:59:15 PM »
James, anything is possible I guess but I wouldn't think silicon would survive the lye bath, the scrubbing with different SS wools and the ride through a 400 degree oven.

Where did you get my pans Dave?  ;D

Offline James Wilson

• Cracked, not broken.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 07:46:27 PM »
Robert, I have a healthy (cynical?) distrust of the food industry and its associates which is,in part, why I cook with cast iron - and quality s/s. I also use wood utensils as opposed to plastic items.
When silicon is applied to metal it is a bugger to remove; ask any car painter or gunsmith etc.
Back on track; your cast looks like the oil was laid on too heavy. Drop  :-? them back into your caustic bath and let them sit awhile to strip. Then remove and rinse them. Use a bit of detergent if you wish to try my method then dry off well and proceed with seasoning. The detergent water will retard any chance of flash-rust. Do not use warm or hot water unless you wish to chase your tale with the oxide thing.
Heat the items, remove and apply oil but wipe off too; you don't want it wet. Then do this a few more times until you are satisfied. If it is just the insides that are splotchy, I would just remove the inside coating and proceed with seasoning :)
PS. another possibility; were the pans placed on the oven racks upside down as they should be?

James, anything is possible I guess but I wouldn't think silicon would survive the lye bath
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:05:08 PM by james »

Offline Dave Sommers

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 07:58:39 PM »
So if just the inside is splotchy(which it is for me) then use the cold water detergent cleaning to remove the inner coat and then season?

Heat the items ... apply Crisco and them wipe off(more completely) and heat again.

I was using the seasoning method listed here. Heat to 450 ... take out and when cool enough to handle by hand apply Crisco and put back in oven at 400 for 30 minutes then turn off and let cool in oven.

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »
Just too much oil... the dreaded Leopard spots.

If you check the pdf link above, I use scrunched up Bounty paper towel, 2 sheets at a time, changing out as needed.

This is the best method of absorbing excess oil.

If you use cloth towels, chances are you will be returning oil to the surface, as cloth gets saturated quickly. 

I also place all items in the oven, cook surface down, when seasoning. 

When you think you've got the oil wiped off... well... wipe again.

Takes a while to master...

I do 500° for one hour, each coat...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:34:30 PM by lillyc »

Offline James Wilson

• Cracked, not broken.
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 10:33:40 PM »
I am sorry it I wasn't clear Dave. If it is just the inside is splotchy then pour in some caustic (careful/caution).
Usually I will fill a milk bottle from the 'soup', bring it inside and do this on the kitchen bench.
You will only need a minimum, maybe 1/2”, or more if you wish or need to. Let it sit,  then with gloves and a scourer or rough rag, carefully work the surface until the oil is lifting. Pour out the caustic, wash off with clean, cold water, dry.
Reseason.
I use an oven mitt to remove the hot cast from the oven, sit it in the casserole tray and carefully apply more oil and wipe using tongs.
Then back into the oven at 225+C for another 30-40 minutes. On the final sequence I will often wack the temp up to 270C until the oil stops smoking, then turn off the oven and let it cool down at its own rate.
I use grapeseed oil but not solely.
Whereas Cheryl uses paper towels, I use lint free cloth folded a number of times and a size that suits me and the tongs. If the cloth gets toward saturation as Cheryl pointed out, I set that aside for applying in the next season. Then get another dry one.
There are only a few rules with seasoning and just as there are any number of roads to Rome and you will find your own way too :)

edit: just checked the stove dial and edited temps. Note to self, don't rely on memory ;D

So if just the inside is splotchy(which it is for me) then use the cold water detergent cleaning to remove the inner coat and then season? Heat the items ... apply Crisco and them wipe off(more completely) and heat again.
I was using the seasoning method listed here. Heat to 450 ... take out and when cool enough to handle by hand apply Crisco and put back in oven at 400 for 30 minutes then turn off and let cool in oven.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:59:37 AM by james »

Offline Dave Sommers

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 11:28:16 PM »
So ... that's what someone meant by when you ask 20 people how to season you'll get 30 different responses.

I'm thinking my problem was too much oil and possibly trying to be too conservative with the paper towels so I left too much oil on the pan.

Hhhmm ... no lye tank so wondering if their is a way to remove old seasoning a different way. Don't really want to use self cleaning oven cycle again. *sigh* Accidently cooked a plastic lid for a cake pan that was in the bottom drawer. At least my wife's ladies group got a kick out of it. I should've taken a picture of that.  :o  ;D

Offline James Wilson

• Cracked, not broken.
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 01:03:34 AM »
Dave, if you can still get the caustic based stuff, I would use oven cleaner. Or just buy a small quantity of sodium hydroxide and make your own. Remember, sodium hydroxide into the water and watch your ratios.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:04:43 AM by james »