Author Topic: What Am I Doing Wrong??  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Chance Riehl

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
What Am I Doing Wrong??
« on: May 09, 2014, 12:25:20 PM »
Hello!  So I think I'm having some trouble with my Griswold #9 that i posted on here a few months back.  It's the only one of my skillets where the seasoning seems to be messing up like this and things are sticking to it more than my other skillets as well.  I attached a photo so you can see what I am talking about.  Does it look messed up to you guys??   I actually stripped and re-seasoned it after I posted it on here the first time...I initially put WAY too much oil on, but the second time seasoning went really well!  So here is my process so you know what I'm doing to help evaluate:

When I first seasoned, I heated it to 200 degrees, put a think layer of crisco on it...wiped it off as much as I possibly could, put it back in to 300 degrees for 15 mistook it out, wiped it again completely...then in the oven for an hour at 400 degrees.

When finished cooking....I use a non-scratch scour pad to clean off any gunk, dry it off....then I coat in crisco, wipe the crisco off as completely as possible, then put it on a burner until it lightly smokes, take it off and let it cool.

That's it.  Any idea why it looks like some of the seasoning is coming off this skillet or why food is sticking?  Thanks for any help!

Offline Russell Ware

• Administrator
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
Re: What Am I Doing Wrong??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 02:16:06 PM »
Looking at the temperatures you have listed, I would say one of your issues is that you are not baking it at a high enough temperature. You need to bump it up to 475 or 500 for about an hour to properly season your pans.

Offline Karen Kale

• WAGS member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 10:03:34 PM »
I’m not an expert, but your seasoning method is very similar to mine and I haven’t encountered this, so I thought I’d pipe in to look at the variables. Maybe you’ll see something different from your process that could help you zero in on the problem.

Wiping: Wiping off “as much as possible” is subjective, but I wipe like crazy at all stages until it looks bone dry. It’s not, of course, and I’ll even give it a wipe during the high heat stage if I see any sign of spotting. Because despite all that wiping, residual pinpricks of oil sometimes pop out. I’m looking for an even seasoning.

Temperature: Definitely agree with Russell on the temp, 400 is too low and is probably the bulk of the issue. 450 works well for me. I’ve tried higher, but I find 450 gives me more control to catch errant spotting before it bakes in.

Number of rounds: I do this multiple times; the seasoning layers are so thin that one or two or even three times won’t cut it for this method if you’re planning to cook in it. Each layer builds a tiny bit and it becomes darker, smoother and shinier as you go. It’s an incremental process and takes a while, but I’m always happy with the results. I do not understand people who can season a pan in one night.

Cooking: I view the first couple cooking outings as the “finishing stage” of the seasoning, cooking something greasy and easy to clean, before I cook something less forgiving. I feel like it “sets” the seasoning. Maybe that’s true, maybe it’s not, but it’s worked for me. I try not to beat on my pans too much at the beginning.

Post-cooking: I’ll do a quick stovetop seasoning after cooking if I had to use water to clean it. I like Pam for post-cooking seasoning, never tried Crisco for this, so I have no idea if it makes a difference.

The pan: This is the unknown variable. They all take the seasoning a little differently so there’s no “one size fits all” approach. Older pans are not widgets. ;) Sometimes you have to make adjustments, but as long as you stick to the generally accepted rules (don’t use too much oil, heat above the oil’s smoke point, bake long enough, etc.) things tend to work out.

Thus concludes the description of my obsessive seasoning process. :)

Everyone has their own method and mine is not necessarily the best or most efficient, but it’s built strong seasonings for cooking, so maybe something in there will help with your problem.

Offline Chance Riehl

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 12:20:41 AM »
Great thoughts. The seasoning is bring stripped right now to try again. I'll definite give this stuff a shot. Any other advice out there?

Offline Chance Riehl

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 12:22:49 AM »
Karen, what is a good example of something to cook after seasoning?

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 12:29:13 AM »
Not Karen,  :) but cornbread is a great seasoning builder!

I avoid bacon and other sugary foods on newly seasoned pans!
(Some sausages can contain sugars also... found that out the hard way! :) )

Offline Karen Kale

• WAGS member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 10:04:34 PM »
Ditto on Cheryl's cooking recommendations. Nothing with sugars, and nothing acidic. I always cook potatoes because their tendency to stick forces me to use way more oil than I normally cook with. For me, those first few times are really about finishing the seasoning, not cooking great food. Potatoes are just what I choose, but anything mild and greasy would probably be fine for that purpose.

As for the cornbread, it's a tried and true seasoning builder. If you don't have a favorite cornbread recipe, try C.B.'s Real Southern Cornbread recipe, #3 in this link:

http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1097670969

And if you do have a favorite cornbread recipe, try C.B.'s anyway. Even a Yankee gal has made great cornbread with a real Southerner's words of wisdom. ;)

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 10:11:04 AM »
The way I do it is bring the bare skillet up to 500 before hitting it with the crisco. You want it to sizzle and smoke as you apply it. It's a little tricky handling iron that hot..I wear leather gloves as added protection, but handle the pan with a folded up kitchen towel. Fold a couple sheets of paper towel to use as a small thick crisco applicator. Then try to wipe it all off with clean paper towels. Put it back in the 500 degree oven for an hour and repeat. I've been satisfied after 3 rounds, but you could do more if you want...the more the merrier, I'm sure.  On the final round, after the hour is up, turn the oven off and let the pan cool in the oven. For maintenance I like pam also. Wash the skillet, heat it up pretty hot on the stovetop, spray a little pam and wipe it good with paper towels...including outside and  bottom. All black and shiny and ready for the next use. ;)

Offline Chance Riehl

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 04:58:54 PM »
Mark you don't turn the oven off ever in that process?  Just one coat after another without the iron cooling at all?

Offline Cheryl Watson

• Administrator
  • The HersheyPark Kitty
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 05:28:56 PM »
I do it as Mark described. (with different oil(s)  )

And my iron never 'cools off' until after the final hour, as Mark describes.

If I get interrupted between coats, and the iron cools, I will reheat to 500° and then continue with additional coat (s).

It is my observation that when using PAM, anything beyond 2 coats generally sheets off with little benefit.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:31:08 PM by lillyc »

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 06:41:35 PM »
Hi Chance...sorry, been busy with turkey hunting and away from computer a lot lately.
Nope, apply to hot pan and right back in the hot oven to "bake" on. I try to wait until I have a few pieces to season due to the energy costs of keeping the oven that hot for that long. If I don't, I'll just put a DO or other skillets in there to add more seasoning to them....might as well!   ;)

Offline Dwayne Henson

• Administrator
  • When the people fear their government, there is
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »
I'm kinda lazy, I use the high temps on the clean CI, 450-500 for 30 minutes, it will be darker and will help even out any lighter spots. Then I wipe it down with Crisco a few times, yeah like the others have said, lots of smoke, if there are any wet spots, I use a paper towel and dry them, back in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes, then oven off, and let cool. Ready to cook.
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dwayne Henson

• Administrator
  • When the people fear their government, there is
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 10:11:07 PM »
Forgot to add practice makes perfect, I've only done a few hundred give or take a few. :)
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lewis Downey

• Lover of biscuits and molasses!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 10:38:08 AM »
I use the high temps on the clean CI, 450-500 for 30 minutes, it will be darker and will help even out any lighter spots. Then I wipe it down with Crisco a few times, yeah like the others have said, lots of smoke, if there are any wet spots, I use a paper towel and dry them, back in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes, then oven off, and let cool. Ready to cook

Dwayne, I am curious about the details of your process. What does it mean that you wipe it down with Crisco "a few times"?  Is that a few light coats in rapid succession, a heavy coat right away and additional light coats, multiple heavy coats, etc? Or am I misunderstanding what you meant? About how long does the wiping down a few times take?

Also when you say "back in the oven at 350", can you provide a little more detail? Do you wait until the oven is 350°F before putting the piece in, put it in at 450°F-500°F then turn down the temp, or is it something else?

Many thanks!