Author Topic: cleaning after cooking ?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Gary Buriani

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
cleaning after cooking ?
« on: August 17, 2014, 01:14:07 AM »
Ok im new to the cast iron cooking lifestyle. I love using it. After I cook I let the pan cool, than I clean it with water to make sure all the grim is off than I throw it on the stove heat it up and toss some Crisco in it and wipe it down with a paper towel. It has a nice gloss to it when im done. Is my method ok or is there something else I need to be doing? Is Crisco ok or is there a better product I could be using?

Offline C. B. Williams

• Administrator
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of collecting cookware!
Re: cleaning after cooking ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:24:42 AM »
I think maybe you are using an extra step. Why let it cool and then reheat it? I put the water in when its still warm, wipe, dry, spray with Pam and wipe down. Depending on what was cooked, I might just wipe out with a paper towel and that's it. I don't put much importance on which oil to use, Crisco, Pam, whatever.
Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

Offline Mark Zizzi

• Doesn't like warped bottoms
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 01:16:49 PM »
I do it similar to Gary's method, except I hit it with pam instead of crisco. It's just easier... either one is good. I'll heat it to the point the pam starts smoking a little, then wipe out good with a paper towel. I think it adds to the seasoning, seems to anyway. And don't forget to do the sides and bottom too!  ;)

Offline Tom Penkava

• WAGS member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 01:49:46 PM »
I do much like C.B., just be sure you are adding hot water to the pan, at least till you are used to judging if you might warp/crack a pan with cold water.

Offline Gary Salsman

• WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 01:22:33 PM »
Depending on what is cooked, I usually wash mine out with soap and water, rinse, dry with a paper towel, heat it back up on the stove, spray with pam, and wipe it out

Offline Colin Crosby

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 09:23:32 PM »
Using water is the last thing I ever do with my cast iron pan. I can always tell when my wife uses MY pan because she just doesn't get it!! Now again, depending on what I'm cooking, i clean it while its still hot. If it's seasoned properly, the food should wipe off very easy with a paper towel. I'll do it a couple times, then last one with a touch of coconut oil on and wipe dry. Takes no longer then a minute. With this said, I stay away from all sugary sauces that could and will burn on that pan. Cast iron is my searing pan, eggs, fish, steak, chicken or anything that needs a quick blast.