Author Topic: Found Two Erie Bread Pan No. 26's  (Read 825 times)

Offline Ken Warren

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
Found Two Erie Bread Pan No. 26's
« on: July 25, 2018, 12:05:39 AM »
Found these two bread pans marked ERIE No. 26 at a recent estate sale. I have not been able to find out any info on them other than one that sold on Ebay for $3500 and one that sold on Pinterest for $5100. I would like to get some opinions as far as value and the best place to market these. Thank you, Ochoco

Offline Jeff Friend

• WAGS member
  • Oh boy . . . PANCAKES . . . my favorite!
Re: Found Two Erie Bread Pan No. 26's
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 11:27:27 AM »
Haussler gives a value of $2500 to $3000 in his book.  For a lot of the Griswold muffin, gem, and bread pans, his prices are a bit dated.  Gem pan prices have declined over the years as more of them have come on the market.  Rare pans, for instance the No. 13, (a 10 out of 10 on Haussler's rarity scale), that he valued around $1600 to $1800, are worth half that now.  These turn up from time to time, so in my opinion the lower value is probably justified.  The No. 26, also rated a 10 on Haussler's rarity scale is valued at $2500 to $3000 in his book.  I suspect that his estimated value for this particular bread pan may be more in line with reality.  The 26 is an old ERIE piece and there are probably only a fraction of these compared to the No. 13 or No. 50 H&S gem pan in the collecting community. 

Condition will affect value.  Any pitting, cracks, or other damage may make what would be a $3000 piece in excellent condition bring only one half of that.  To get top dollar on ebay, your pans need to be carefully cleaned and presented with very good photos.  Some collectors prefer to buy "as found" cookware and clean them themselves.  I have bought pieces on ebay with the understanding that if, after cleaning, a deal-breaker defect is found, I can return the piece, no questions asked.  That way, you will get a better price, the buyer gets to clean the pan, and he is protected if a crack is found. 

An option would be a well-know auction house that deals with cast iron cookware collections on a regular basis, such as Simmons & Co. in Missouri.  The excitement at a live auction can bring some amazing prices for less than amazing pieces of cookware.

Very nice pans, by the way.  But you already knew that!  Finding two - not one, but two - of those at an estate sale is a collector's dream come true.  Good luck.

Jeff
Hold still rabbit so I can dunk you in this bucket of lye!