Author Topic: Arc "wagner" 7 bean/gypsy pot? Value and info  (Read 880 times)

Offline Kendall Hochstedler

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
Arc "wagner" 7 bean/gypsy pot? Value and info
« on: August 19, 2018, 05:59:56 PM »
I have been on the lookout for a bean pot to use over the fire.  I came across one at a garage sale yesterday and picked it up.  I spent several hours last evening doing some research and a few more hours today.  I haven't been able to find a match so far.  Skillets are much more popular than pots evidently.  The wood handle does not lend itself to fire cooking.  If its only worth $10-20 I'll take my chances, but I hate to burn the handle off of a $100 pot.  Looks to be a pre 1910 model from the arc "wagner" logo.  Any info and a price estimate would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
Re: Arc "wagner" 7 bean/gypsy pot? Value and info
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 05:17:02 AM »
Kendall, What you have is a flat bottom bulged pot made around the turn of the century. Blue Book value $50-60.
From pictures I see a heat ring telling me it was made to use on top of a wood/coal stove. This gives light to wooden handle application.
If you are looking for a bean kettle/with lid for use over fire, contact me. I have what you need [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline Kendall Hochstedler

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
Re: Arc "wagner" 7 bean/gypsy pot? Value and info
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 10:19:08 PM »
Thanks Duke, I appreciate the response.  I'm going to clean it up and see how it turns out.  I assumed the heat ring was related to cooking on a flat surface and not on a fire.  I wish you were closer.  CI tends to be heavy and shipping is not cheap so I doubt I'll be buying any, but I appreciate the offer.
It looks like you frequent this board and are quite knowledgeable so if you don't mind, what pot/pots would you recommend as something suitable to fire cooking?  1 gallon or similar size. 
Thanks, I appreciate places where people are helpful with no expectations of payback.