Author Topic: Wagner / Griswold Chef Skillet  (Read 2868 times)

Offline Wesley Schultz

• WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
Wagner / Griswold Chef Skillet
« on: July 11, 2006, 09:22:21 AM »
Why did this one go so cheap? Was there something wrong with it?Is this one a fake or repro? I was out of town and didn't get back in time to bid on it. I figured that it was in such nice shape that it would probably be bid up too high anyway. I was really suprised to see how cheap it went.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&item=130003608222&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Steve_Stephens

Re: Wagner / Griswold Chef Skillet
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 11:47:19 AM »
Why did this one go so cheap?
Too new to be of much interest to many collectors?

Steve

moosejaw

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 12:47:47 AM »
Maybe for collectors, but I'd have bought it at that price for a user.  I bid on one a year ago, and it went for over $30.  This was a good deal.  Wish I would have seen it!

Offline Wesley Schultz

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 09:50:59 AM »
Marty, I have been trying to get one of these for a long time but everytime I bid on one the bidding goes sky high. When I forget or just can't be around to bid they go for cheap. Yes this one was in great shape. That's why I thought maybe it was a fake or something because it went so cheap.

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 10:24:29 AM »
I could be that this time of year is just bad for selling on eBay.  I just picked up a John Wright Lion and Lamb popover pan that I really like.  They rarely sell for less than $40.  It was $6.99, no competition.  I needed it like a hole in the head, but couldn't pass it by.

tom

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 12:22:06 AM »
I could be that this time of year is just bad for selling on eBay.  I just picked up a John Wright Lion and Lamb popover pan that I really like.  They rarely sell for less than $40.  It was $6.99, no competition.  I needed it like a hole in the head, but couldn't pass it by.

tom

Tom, I busted out laughing when I read your post.  [smiley=hysterical.gif]

I thought to myself, bin there and done that. I wonder how many others can say the same thing, I'm thinking a lot.

Offline Greg Lappe

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 01:04:29 PM »
I'm actually the winer of the auction in mention. Ebay is weird like that. You can have two identical items and one will go for twice as much as the other one. I guess it's all about who sees what and when. I was estatic when I won it for such a low price, I was expecting at least in the 20's.  ;D Ebay is my Walmart.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 01:14:54 PM by glappe »
Artificial intelligence will never replace human stupidity.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 01:19:43 PM »
Good for you Greg, good price. Also, welcome to WAGS. We have a lot of fun on here talking about cast iron and related subjects. You are on the public side of the forum. We also have a side of the forum that we affectionally call "the dark side". For a small annual membership fee you get access to that side of the forum which has tons of compiled information which is available to members only, a newsletter and all kinds of other goodies including an excellent recipe section that consists of recipes tried and true. Anyway Greg, thanks for stopping in and saying hello. Come back and let us know how you like that Chef Skillet. :)

moosejaw

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 11:23:44 PM »
Greg, you got a great buy!  Lucky you!  

I got a good chuckle out of Tom's post too........Boy how those fingers start itching when you see a good buy on fleabay, even if you don't need it.  It must be similiar to a gambling addiction.    ;D

Offline Greg Lappe

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 03:41:40 PM »
I already know this addiction all too well.....And loving it! ;D Now my wife..ehhhhh. I believe that if I bring home one more piece of stray cast iron it's gana be..... !BONG!  [smiley=stars.gif] out like a light with one of my ummmhumm *cough,cough* OUR pans. Naaa she's great, all I have to do is cook something tasty in it and I get the "ok, it can stay".  [smiley=wink.gif]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 03:42:26 PM by glappe »

Offline Greg Lappe

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 07:02:49 PM »
I think that I'm going to need some asprin! !BONG!  [smiley=stars.gif]. I couldn't resist a good deal, well at least I think so.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&item=250006009578&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 08:30:17 PM »
Wow Greg, what a deal? Your wife can hit me in the head with that skillet and I'd still give 3.00 for it.  ;D Man, you must have some luck or something. I don't think I've ever seen a skillet sell for 3.00 before now.

Offline Greg Lappe

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 08:31:15 PM »
I've noticed that there is a Wagner 10" Chef Skillet 1388 on Ebay. I searched the completed autions for this skillet and it sells anywhere from 30 to 70 :o. What is the worth of the 10" and 11" Chef skillets?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 08:31:40 PM by glappe »

Offline Jack Glenn

• WAGS member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 09:22:38 PM »
Blue book lists the 10" at $40 and the 11" at $50.

Offline Wesley Schultz

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 04:06:29 PM »
Greg, was that $3 skillet a Wagner? It didn't say anything about brands in the listing. Looks like a nice user even if it's a no-name. What a deal and as far as I could see the shipping wasn't way out of line either.

Offline Greg Lappe

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 05:42:31 PM »
I emailed the seller about an hour before the close of the auction asking about the markings if any. The auction ended before I got a response so for $3.00 it looked too good to pass up. He still didn't respond except that it's been shipped. It does look just like a Wagner to me except for the helper handle. I LOVE TO COOK so I'm mostly look for a good users at the moment. I'll let you know what I find when the pan arrives.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 05:47:41 PM »
I would guess it's a Lodge.  Let us know what it turns out to be.  Great deal.

Steve

Offline Greg Lappe

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 07:31:34 PM »
I would guess it's a Lodge.  Let us know what it turns out to be.  Great deal.

Steve

I got the pan today but I could not locate any markings what so ever. Here are a couple of pics. It should be a good user, especially for $3.00  ;D

LUCY YOU GOT SUM SCRUBBING TO DOOOO! [smiley=undecided.gif]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 07:38:16 PM by glappe »

Offline Greg Lappe

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 07:32:04 PM »
Bottom.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 09:01:46 PM »
Greg, it looks like a deep skillet, or is it just the angle in the picture? Either way you did great, and it its a deep skillet you did great great. Ain't it great? ;D