Author Topic: Not bad for an old Lodge  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

Re: Not bad for an old Lodge
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 10:07:57 PM »
Thats a nice piece Roger. A Lodge huh? You like them nice old Lodge pieces, don't you Roger?  ;)

Offline Mark Ritter

• WAGS: The heartbeat of collecting cookware!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 10:17:07 PM »
Well I see someone out there also thinks that the old Lodges are colletible.

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 12:29:54 PM »
Thats a nice piece Roger. A Lodge huh? You like them nice old Lodge pieces, don't you Roger?  ;)

Guilty as charged.  They are as finely cast as anything I've seen.  I pick them up when I get the chance.

mikelangille

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 08:41:58 PM »
It was me who just sold this piece and I was very curious about if it was a Lodge or not. I could not find anything that showed any others with a flat top handle that was even with the top of the oven like this is. Sure was a trick to get it packed safe.

Offline Dwayne Henson

• Administrator
  • When the people fear their government, there is
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 10:00:20 PM »
I agree with you Roger, they're nice. Mine sadly had it's legs removed sometime in it's life. Still works well on a grate though.
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 05:30:22 AM »
Lots of that old Lodge out there as folks don't know what is it. I think we all do a little guessing at times when it comes to Lodge :-/ Wish better records would have been kept as it would help the value in modern times :(
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline Clark Rader

• Forever in our hearts!
  • apaninhand
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 09:24:51 AM »
 ;D That would be a good TV show.  ;D

CSI of cast iron. on tonight at 8:00.
What do you think Perry?
clark
What I know, I keep forgetting.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 07:53:24 AM »
;D That would be a good TV show.  ;D

CSI of cast iron. on tonight at 8:00.
What do you think Perry?
clark

Sounds like a plan Clark.  ;) We're gonna dig up them facts of who made what where and when.

Offline Grady Britt

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: Heartbeat of Cast Iron Cookware Collecting
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 10:14:07 AM »
Roger, Why do you say this is a Lodge piece? Grady .....

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 10:24:13 AM »
Hello Grady. I just wanted to thank you for your assesment of my little skillet that I had pictured on another thread on here. Me, I don't know what it is, but its nicely made, and to me, it ain't a three, and you just don't see many skillets that size that are that kind of quality, unless it is a big name brand that you made the skillet. Thanks again. :)

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 12:32:57 PM »
Roger, Why do you say this is a Lodge piece? Grady .....

Hey Grady, glad to see you again.  We sure appreciate you talking with us.  As for the piece above, it's mostly the markings that make me say that.  Here's some photos to show you what I mean.  Also I believe I've seen camp ovens with the same shape legs and lodge markings.  All in all, it's just my opinion and I should have put that in the post above.  If you think it's not Lodge, I'd like to hear your take on it, or if you know what it might be.  Thanks again for your comments.

Here's the markings from the lid above.

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 12:33:59 PM »
This is from the an ebay auction for a skillet and lid.

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!

Offline Dwayne Henson

• Administrator
  • When the people fear their government, there is
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 06:49:49 PM »
Roger, Last summer I cleaned/seasoned all the Camp Ovens that our local Girl Scout Council had. They had CO's with that exact lid/handle that your piece has, with the same incised marking. That roll along were the lip meets the lid. The Bottoms had the same incised marking as well, along with the distinctive number 7 shaped bail attachment area that Lodge still uses on CO's. The legs were the same shape as yours as well.  That dab and then the leg. All these say Lodge to me.
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 08:10:56 PM »
Hello Grady. I just wanted to thank you for your assesment of my little skillet that I had pictured on another thread on here. Me, I don't know what it is, but its nicely made, and to me, it ain't a three, and you just don't see many skillets that size that are that kind of quality, unless it is a big name brand that you made the skillet. Thanks again. :)

Perry, I have two #3 hammered Lodge skillets and they measure 6-5/16" outside. Is that not the dimension you gave on your skillet? Both have a raised 'Y' also. Yours does have different handle variation though...........ED
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 08:47:53 PM »
Ed, yes, the dimension that I gave for my mystery skillet was 6 and 5/16 from outside to outside, not including the pour lips. If thats what yours measured from outside to outside not including the pour lips, then they are the same. SO, I guess we can take it that my skillet is the same size as a number three Lodge. And in all probability then, it probably is a Lodge. But Grady Lodge Britt, our Lodge man, has doubts. All I can say is that these kinds of things make the whole cast iron business a little more interesting.  ;)

Troy_Hockensmith

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 09:17:48 PM »
Oh I don't know that Grady has doubts but if he did I wish he would have aired them. I too think this is lodge but there is a "small" amount of room for doubt.

Here is what I do know or have been told by lodge on these spider. They quite making them in the mid 50's and the lids were the same as the regular camp ovens. They were interchangable.

I have ran across a few of these and if I recall the handles are the same style and I'd also say they match the catalog.

Grady if you know something spill your guts!!!!

Offline Duke Gilleland

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 10:11:06 PM »
I have not kept up with this thread. Should have as I like the old Lodge as well. I have a # 9 skillet lid with a handle like this and it has the drip points. Fits an old # 9 Lodge skillet perfect. You boys call it...
Nowhere But TEXAS!

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 10:14:16 PM »
Oh I don't know that Grady has doubts but if he did I wish he would have aired them. I too think this is lodge but there is a "small" amount of room for doubt.

Troy, I luv ya, but don't be doin a Steve Stephens on me.  ;D I am talking about, what Grady said, about ANOTHER piece, not this one here. I just came on here to thank him for his comments on another item, on another thread.  ;) ;D