Author Topic: This went cheap  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Chris Stairs

• Administrator
This went cheap
« on: March 27, 2009, 03:46:15 PM »
 I didn't bid on this one, but watched it go. I thought this was pretty cheap. I've never seen one with a wooden handle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130294282743
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 03:47:17 PM by Fryerman »
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Stephen Hawking

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
Re: This went cheap
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 05:41:21 PM »
I bought one about 6 months ago for like $20   I thought that was CHEAP.   But these have been selling for the last 6 months for under $20 ???    Last year these were a good $50 to $100.    Nothing like the Griswolds,  but still worth more then they have been selling for.

Will

Offline Robert Hilman

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 06:33:40 PM »
I'm new at this but isn't it missing the top half?
I hear voices..........and they don't like you!

Offline Will Person

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 06:36:51 PM »
Griswold has two pieces.   The Wagner is just one.

Will 8-)

Offline Mike Bohannon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 08:19:19 PM »
Will, I don't disagree that is one piece item as far as cast iron parts but wonder if there was a tin lid?  Look at the top of the piece and it looks like there is a lip for some type of lid.  I don't know just asking.  Mike

Ron_Wheeler

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 08:50:16 PM »

Mike, the lip is for collecting grease as your T-Bone Steak is grilled and then you pour it off at the lip.  This piece did not have a lid as far as I know.  I have one of these, Wagner, and its a beauty.  Will post a picture if I can find it.

:-/

Offline Mike Bohannon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 09:26:49 PM »
Mike, the lip is for collecting grease as your T-Bone Steak is grilled and then you pour it off at the lip.  This piece did not have a lid as far as I know.  I have one of these, Wagner, and its a beauty.  Will post a picture if I can find it.

:-/

Ron, the very small  edge/rim/lip at the very top is what I'm wondering about, kinda L shaped, not the trough at the bottom.  Mike
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 09:28:30 PM by mlbohan »

Offline Will Person

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 09:55:52 PM »
In your Wagner reprints,  it shows  "cover furnished with every broiler"   So,  yes it did have a lid,  every one of them.

Will 8-)

Ron_Wheeler

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 10:17:36 PM »

I see what you're saying now Mike.  Damn, you mean now I have to spend the next 15 years looking for a lid?  I might not make it that long!

>:(

Offline Robert Hilman

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 11:25:09 AM »
Ron, I could be wrong, but I believe you said you were 80? If so, and you are playing with a puter, you have enough spunk to go at least another 20! Good hunting!

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 01:59:39 PM »
Hello Robert, I been meaning to ask you. Thats a nice deer you got there. Is that a 10 pointer? Looks like it.  :)

And you're right about Ron, he's full of pi$$ and vinegar, and I don't don't believe he's 80 though.

Ron_Wheeler

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 05:40:58 PM »
Ron, I could be wrong, but I believe you said you were 80? If so, and you are playing with a puter, you have enough spunk to go at least another 20! Good hunting!

Hey Robert, sometimes I feel like I'm 80 but today I'm only 67 and a birthday coming up real soon.  And as far as those puter's go...It better do what I want it to do or else I'll take my AA12 and blast that sucker clean off my desk.

Perry, besides good scotch I take a shot of vinegar everyday, keeps the bugs out.  I don't know what the vinegar does!

;D

Offline Raymond Dube

• WAGS member
  • Momma said there'd be days like this!!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 06:45:53 PM »
Perry, besides good scotch I take a shot of vinegar everyday, keeps the bugs out.  I don't know what the vinegar does!
Perry told me it cleans the rust out ;)
I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional! ;)

Offline Chris Stairs

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 08:31:34 PM »
In your Wagner reprints,  it shows  "cover furnished with every broiler"   So,  yes it did have a lid,  every one of them.

Will 8-)

Will,

Do you have a pic of the correct lid so Ron can see what he's huntin' for?

Chris
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Stephen Hawking

Offline Will Person

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 10:17:50 PM »
Chris,  I wont post a page from the reprint here.   But I will on the members side.   Benefit of being a member. ;)

Will 8-)

Offline Robert Hilman

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 10:31:15 AM »
Perry, yes a 10 pointer, 176 lbs field dressed. Bow season, up close and personal. 191/2" inside spread. For a Jersey deer he is a monster, most racks here we call basket racks, because thay are so close, not much spread.
Sorry about the wrong age Ron, but being so full of viniger I would say you got 30-40 more years to look for the top half!

Offline Al Andrews

• WAGS member
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of cast iron collecting!
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 12:39:06 PM »
Back to the lid, I believe they were "stamped steel" not cast iron - sure would like to have one for my Wagner grill.

Al

Ron_Wheeler

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 12:58:28 PM »

Me too Al.

Will, would like to see picture of the lid, where, when will you post it.
Thanks a bunch,  Ron

Offline Will Person

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 02:17:55 PM »

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 03:47:54 PM »
Perry, yes a 10 pointer, 176 lbs field dressed. Bow season, up close and personal. 191/2" inside spread. For a Jersey deer he is a monster, most racks here we call basket racks, because thay are so close, not much spread.

Robert, that is a good sized Jersey deer, I have heard that most Jersey deer ain't much bigger than a Lab Dog. Here in Ohio they eat like hogs, plenty of food. A 200 pound field dressed deer is not that uncommon. And Robert, did you know that the largest white tail, non typical was killed here in Ohio, Green County actually. It sure was big news around here. Thats about 45 miles from where I am here in Ohio. And it was killed with a bow also.

That same year I killed a nice buck with a shotgun and the game warden that checked that great big buck in, had done so only a few days before, and he told me all about it. I have not deer hunted for awhile now. Everybody else kill my deer for me now.  ;D ;D