Author Topic: Can someone explain this one?  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
Can someone explain this one?
« on: August 16, 2009, 10:12:52 PM »
Beieve me, I'm happy, but I'm not sure why this went so high. Am I missing something?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140338875024&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Katrina Gomez

• I love cast iron. :)
Re: Can someone explain this one?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 10:23:14 PM »
Chuck,

Consider yourself blessed and call it a day!   ;)

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 10:34:13 PM »
I got to send you all of my iron to season.   You get some big money for that BLACK iron.

Please again,  tell us how you do it.   With what,  what temp.  Everything!!!

Will 8-)

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 12:29:54 AM »
Has anyone ever seen the J, or any other letter on the back of these, in that script before??

Every one of the 8's that I have ever seen has just plain block letters.  I have six of them and I just looked through all of them and I have a J but it does not have that little curl on it??

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 08:56:49 AM »
Well, my take on it is, that you cleaned it up well, it looks good, you have an excellent description, and you are not talking BS, sounds and comes across like you know what you are talking about, you have good pictures, and its in good condition. And that set is hard to put together. All contributing factors. Also Chuck the moon was right for you.  ;)

Prairie_Gal

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 10:51:17 AM »
Also, Satan has a bill of sale with Chuck's name on it...  ;D

Offline Jesse and Kim Dunfee

• Forever in our hearts!
  • I Walk By Faith Not By Sight
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 11:00:43 AM »
That "J" is unique. I haven't been buying much lately. Need the 4-6-12 and 14 to have this set. I exclude the #13 because is is way out of my price range right now.

ALBERT_HUTCHISON

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 01:15:46 PM »
The prices for this set has been going up ever since show-me-more iron put the full set up for sale a few weeks ago. But they have been strong sellers for about a year now maybe a little more. I for one hope they stay or go up more at least on ebay.

itsme

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 04:10:01 PM »
So you're the guy who puts L@@K on everything? You clean and season them beautifully. Should I just clean or clean and season. What is it you're doing Chuck to make em look so good?

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 11:42:05 PM »
Well, my take on it is, that you cleaned it up well, it looks good, you have an excellent description, and you are not talking BS, sounds and comes across like you know what you are talking about, you have good pictures, and its in good condition. And that set is hard to put together. All contributing factors. Also Chuck the moon was right for you.  ;)

Thank You Perry. I'm not real good at slingin' the BS anyway. I try to make a good listing, and as far as knowing what I'm talking about, I can only way one word, WAGS.  I learned it here.

So you're the guy who puts L@@K on everything?

That's me. I dropped it from my titles for a week, and my hits, and my bids dropped off. Call me superstitious, but it seems to work.

Need the 4-6-12 and 14 to have this set.

I do have a #4 slant ERIE listed right now if you're intrested Jesse. Take a look. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140340253909&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
I had a couple others listed last week also.

Also, Satan has a bill of sale with Chuck's name on it

I am a sworn enemy of satan. And just think, I was going to send you a nice #8 WI to tide you over til your next CI find. Do you like WI's Becky?

As far as my cleaning and seasoning, I have kinda kept it to myself, but I have been thinking about it, and since everyone here has always been so forthcoming with info, and pics, and just help in general, I will be sharing my methods soon. I'm not sure why I kept it a secret anyway. Just not tonight. It's 11:36 PM, I just got done cleaning, and seasoning a #8 and #12 "ERIE", and a 1508 Wagner baking pan, as well as packing up 11 Ebay items, (Make that 12 items. I have to return a cracked #3 slant EPU hr due to a crack) and I have to be up for work at 5:00 am. It will probably be tomorrow. I could post it in the cleaning and seasoning section of the forum. Here's a hint. Unless you have an outside oven, your house wil smell like you are always making french fries.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:44:11 PM by crogers561 »
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 11:50:18 PM »
OMG... that's the secret to his black iron!  
He deep fries it! ;D ;) ;D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:50:37 PM by Sandy_Glenn »
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"   E. Idle/M. Python

Offline Roger Barfield

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 11:55:32 PM »
OMG... that's the secret to his black iron!  
He deep fries it! ;D ;) ;D

[smiley=hysterical.gif] [smiley=funnypost.gif]
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Offline Katrina Gomez

• I love cast iron. :)
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 12:13:14 AM »
Chuck please tell us that secret soon cause Gomez just walked out to the garage mumbling something about finding a turkey fryer!   :-?

Offline Lee Sumner

• My Name Is Nobody
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 12:49:34 AM »
I wish you would post your seasoning method. Just the other night my son asked me if i was cooking corn dogs while seasoning some CI perhaps we are using a similar method ;D

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 09:30:55 AM »
That "J" is unique. I haven't been buying much lately. Need the 4-6-12 and 14 to have this set. I exclude the #13 because is is way out of my price range right now.

Jesse you have the #1 for this set??
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 09:59:10 AM »
This is my favorite set of skillets.  I don't know why but it is.  I told my wife the other day that I would be happy if I had it complete by the time that I was 40 (that gives me 13 years).  I still need the 1, 2, 4, 10, 11, 13, and 14 so I have a lot of work to do to say the least!!

I think that I have Chuck's secret seasoning method figured out so it will be interesting to see if I am right:

1. Clean Iron (very very clean)
2. Coat with very very light Pam
3. Throw in oven on the HIGHEST setting (mine goes to about 600)
4. Pull out very very hot iron and place on cardboard box.
5. Spray semi-lightly with Pam and wipe with paper towel or old cotton rag
6. Repeat at least 3 times

Prairie_Gal

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 10:56:26 AM »
Okay, Chuck.  You're on the side of angels, I guess, then.  :)

I don't know if I like waffle irons because I've never gotten to know one (yet).

Since you said you were going to spill the beans, I feel better about my "loose lips" moment a while back, where I revealed you told me you used PAM at 550 degrees.  OOOPS!  ;D

By the way, hubby accidentally found a wonderful way to help out the seasoning process last night: an over-indulgence of fried okra.  You should see that #9 Erie this morning. Wow!  Slick as a whistle.

Offline Judith Holiday

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 02:50:58 PM »
Speaking of #9 Erie. Here's my fave that is about to contribute to our supper. Is it collectible, note worthy, whatever? I'm not overly concerned about that. What I do know is it's a hell of a fine pan; I use it often.
"Freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much." Justice Robert Jackson 1943

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 03:26:48 PM »
A very nice #9 star, and yes, very collectible. Depending on the condition of course. Take good care of that one. It will serve you well. The ERIE are a pleasure to cook in.

fatfutures

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 03:40:39 PM »
I just LOVE my 2nd series Erie's! I've only got 7-10  so, I'm always on the hunt for pieces to fill out the set.