Author Topic: #14 Iron Mountain  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
#14 Iron Mountain
« on: August 25, 2009, 03:59:55 PM »
!!WOW!!  All I can say is it's gonna be quite awhile before I can fill out my IM set. :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170373485256
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"   E. Idle/M. Python

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
Re: #14 Iron Mountain
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 05:04:49 PM »
I was wondering who on here was bidding on it. I know they are hard to find. Do you have the #4 Sandy?
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 05:29:02 PM »
I have the #4, Chuck.  Looks like a #14 is gonna have to fall from the sky (gently please) for me to have one. ;)

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:04:55 PM »
$600 does not seem that bad for how hard these are to find.  I actually figured it would go a little higher but that assumption was only based on its rarity and we all know that the price is not always an indicator of rarity.

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 07:24:35 PM »
we all know that the price is not always an indicator of rarity.
It sure isn't Jeff.  If rarity is judged by availability, there are several items in the books that are LESS available than others yet dont carry the price tag they deserve, IMO.
Jerry

d1vot15

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 10:13:51 PM »
Thought about bidding but it ran past my pocketbook.

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 09:57:56 AM »
IMO the # 3 bidder got it about right. If another showed up tomorrow I don't think it would smell these price levels. Kind of like the All in 1 skillet that went up for the same price as the last one sold for and died on the vine. When there's "two gotta have its" bidding crazy things happen. When there is only one or none then sanity returns.

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 09:34:06 PM »
Does anyone know if the seller is a WAGS member?
"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 10:00:54 PM »
I thought the bidding on this was interesting.  If I didnt look at it wrong, and I might have, the second place bidder tied the high bidder at $600, which means that had to be the high bidders max.  If the second high bidder had bid again, he would have got over the max and might have won it?

PS.....if Ebay hasnt changed, if the second place bidder had bid ONE PENNEY more, $600.01, he would have been high.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 10:12:05 PM by Jerry_Cermack »
Jerry

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 10:02:43 PM »
I'm pretty certain he isn't.

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 11:13:28 PM »
I thought the bidding on this was interesting.  If I didnt look at it wrong, and I might have, the second place bidder tied the high bidder at $600, which means that had to be the high bidders max.  If the second high bidder had bid again, he would have got over the max and might have won it?

PS.....if Ebay hasnt changed, if the second place bidder had bid ONE PENNEY more, $600.01, he would have been high.

I'm not so sure Jerry, the winning bid was there before the second place bid.  A tie goes to the earlier bidder.  I think the second place bidder would have had to bid at least $610 (one increment higher) to have won.

Tom

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 12:11:32 PM »
Your right Tom, if the second place bidder had bid again.  But if he had put $600.01, instead of $600 even, on his last bid would that not have put him high by one penny?..And who knows, the winning bidder may not have been online to make another bid.  The other point I was trying to make, the second high bidder also had the opportunity to see he had landed on the Max of the other bidder because they tied, and could have got over him easily.  Even if it took another bid of $10 more to possibly win that pan, I'd hate to lose it over $10 if I thought enough of it to want it for $600.  
Jerry

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 03:13:54 PM »
 But if he had put $600.01, instead of $600 even, on his last bid would that not have put him high by one penny?.. 

Maybe, but I still think if the second bidder had put $600.01, it would not have been taken since there was already the $600.00 automatic bid there from the earlier bidder and would have needed a full increment.  I do agree that the 2nd bidder didn't realize he had hit the max of the original bidder.  He stopped with more than an hour left.

Tom

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 08:30:23 PM »
 But if he had put $600.01, instead of $600 even, on his last bid would that not have put him high by one penny?.. 

Maybe, but I still think if the second bidder had put $600.01, it would not have been taken since there was already the $600.00 automatic bid there from the earlier bidder and would have needed a full increment.  I do agree that the 2nd bidder didn't realize he had hit the max of the original bidder.  He stopped with more than an hour left.

Tom
Tom, not trying to belabor the point, but doesnt the bid history only show the Max bid by each person at the time they placed the bid?.....not the amount it took to become high bidder with the bid increments.  I dont know what the high price was when the second high bidder placed his bid with a $600 Max.  It certainly wasnt $600 or it wouldnt have let him bid $600, so what I have been saying is....for example: if he had to bid $550 to be high, and he put a $600 max, it jumped to the other guys Max and he just tied.  If he had put something more than a $600 max, even a penny more, he would have went over the winning bidders MAX.  Unless its changed, there is no minimum Max increments on Max bids.  Max bid winner is whoever bid the highest amount.  Anyway, it was an interesting bidding display...... ;D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 08:33:28 PM by Jerry_Cermack »
Jerry

Offline Scott Sanders

• Administrator
  • I'll look for iron just about anywhere
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 05:38:03 PM »

Does anyone know if the BUYER is a WAGS member???..... ;) ;) ;)

Scott
Register as a Bone Marrow Donor and give Blood when you can....The life you save is someone's Loved One.  https://bethematch.org/support-the-cause/donate-bone-marrow/

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 08:23:41 PM »

Does anyone know if the BUYER is a WAGS member???..... ;) ;) ;)

Scott
you mean to complete a set?
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 08:57:40 PM »
I would speculate that you guy's speculations are correct about the proud owner of that #14 skillet!!

Offline Chuck Rogers

• Forever in our hearts!
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 11:53:38 PM »

Offline Dwayne Henson

• Administrator
  • When the people fear their government, there is
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 10:29:49 AM »
I've done what Jerry is talking about and have won with a .01 (cent) over bid. If the first bid is 10.00, you cant't bid 10.01, but if the bid is 10.00 and you make your max bid  20.01 and the first bidder had his max at 20.00 you win by a cent.
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 09:50:43 PM »
I've won and lost in the pennies bidding war and I think it depends on who is in first. If the $20 bidder is the earliest bidder then it won't take the $20.01 bid because the increment isn't high enough and the $20.01 bid won't show. If the $20.01 bid is the earliest then it will post the $20.00 bid to show there was a bid that caused them to use your $20.01 bid and since the $20.01 was earliest it accepts it. At least that's what I think happens because I've both won and lost with bids less than the bidding increment and the timing of the bid seemed to be the determining factor.
Harry