Author Topic: Slant logo, smooth bottom skillets  (Read 2236 times)

chrysolite

Slant logo, smooth bottom skillets
« on: March 05, 2004, 10:41:57 AM »
After finding an expired Ebay auction, I started to wonder what the general feeling was on the rarity of these skillets.  I see the #8 size once a month or so on Ebay, but NEVER see the #5 or #3, let alone the #2 or #9 that are listed in the books.  Is the general feeling that the book prices are right on these pieces, because I never run across them?

Just a topic to ponder for everyone...

??? ??? ???

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
Re: Slant logo, smooth bottom skillets
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 12:15:23 PM »
Mike,
This subject has been tossed around quite a bit on the forum. You can put  the words SLANT SMOOTH in Search and read most of what has been said about them in the past.  There is a good bit of information.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 12:17:04 PM by Jerry_Cermack »
Jerry

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 12:18:47 PM »
Hey Mike,
You are astute in your observations.  I have gotten two No.5 smooth bottom slant/EPU's off of ebay and let another one go.  Think I saw one No.2 and now this No.3 which I highly doubt is a smooth bottom but, without seeing the pan I really don't know.  Many or all slant/EPU No.3 skillets have an "almost" heat ring in that the bottom of the pan where the writing is is raised a small amount unlike the true smooth bottoms like the 2, 5, and 8.  I think that no.3 ebay pan would have to be cleaned and/or have a better photo to tell for sure what it is.  All I can say is that I have never seen what I consider to be a smooth bottom slant/EPU No.3 skillet.  Nor have I see a No.9 but am aware of the one listed in the book.

As far as prices, the No.8's don't go for much and several per year will show up on ebay.  The fact that they repetedly do not bring much, if any, amount over a regular skillet shows that they are priced correctly in the book.  The 3, if one exists, should be much higher as should the No.5.  I paid high for my first No.5 then around $75 for my second.  A third did not reach $100 if I remember right.  Part of the low price/high rarity ratio may be that these pans do not make much of a set and most collectors like to have impressive, full sets.  I happen to like and use No. 5 skillets so that's why I wanted one of those.  I have since found a No.5 slant/ERIE smooth bottom on ebay but don't add this one to the list as someone had filed off the heat ring.  But what a great, smooth pan and it's become my favorite No.5 skillet.  The No.2 was also made with a wood handle and smooth bottom slant/EPU.  Only piece I ever have regretted selling.

The book lists the smooth bottom slant/EPU skillets as having been made in the 1939-44 period.  I think this information comes from Chuck Wafford who should know.  However, those dates make no sense to me.  Why would Griswold make an old pattern so late?  That's WWII period.  I don't think Griswold was turning out MORE skillets during the war and might have needed to resurect some old patterns to keep up with demand.  And why the No.2's at that time?  I don't think No.2's were even made anywhere near that late.  And that period is thought to be when the small TM came into being.  So, why make new slant/EPU pans then?  There are no good answers that I can see.  My thoughts are that the smooth bottom, slant/EPU skillets are the first smooth bottom pans made for electric stove cooking and were made at the end of the slant/EPU production around 1923-24 and just before changeover to the block TM.  Or, another thought was that several older patterns were modified to make these slant smooth bottoms in order to test market some smooth bottom skillets to see if they would sell before changing over the block HR skillet patterns or making up new patterns.  Take your choice; I don't know and don't think the real truth will ever be documented.

Who's seen a No.9?

Steve

chrysolite

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 05:30:41 PM »
Interesting about the #3 smooth bottom.  I found one a few years ago that I passed on when I didn't know better.  If I recall correctly, I did not seem suspious to me at the time and the bottom was smooth.  Of course by the time I had realized what I passed on, it was gone.

Thanks for the info.