Author Topic: ? about my great grandmothers small skillet  (Read 5283 times)

Clark_B.

? about my great grandmothers small skillet
« on: March 20, 2004, 06:06:09 AM »
I recently recieved from my dad, my g-gma's skillet.  I have removed most of the 1/8" think build up from the botton and handle, and the only marking that is distinguisable is a raised fancy 7 at the base of the handle.  It has a raised rim near the edge of the bottom and it is a full circumfrence, and there as what appears to be two 1 inch long lines, side by side, seperated by a gap of about 3/4" near the center of the bottom, if they were ever letters they are too worn now to read. The lines are smaller that 1/8"

Anyone have a clue as whom the manufacturer may have been?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 06:07:55 AM by Clark_B. »

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
Re: ? about my great grandmothers small skillet
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 11:19:07 AM »
Probably never be able to figure it out by description and probably not by a pix either, but if you can post one, it may help.  The lines are most likely gate marks, which would suggest that this is a fairly old skillet.  The local skillet expert, Steve, may be able to help more, once he sees this post.

Ithere as what appears to be two 1 inch long lines, side by side, seperated by a gap of about 3/4" near the center of the bottom, if they were ever letters they are too worn now to read. The lines are smaller that 1/8"

« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 11:19:55 AM by admin »
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 11:40:23 AM »
Hi Clark,
As Greg said, it is almost impossible to determine the maker of iron cookware that is not marked unless there is some distinguishing mark or style.  The two lines on the bottom of your skillet may be gate marks where the molten iron was poured into the mold.  That was older, pre-c.1900 casting technology.  What do the pouring lips on your skillet look like?  Two of them or one?  Small, large; do they look like most other 20th century skillets or have a different shape or profile.  Early skillets came with all sorts of different pouring lips.  If you can post a photo that might help.
Steve

Clark_B.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 11:51:28 AM »
I have a little update on this little gridle.  I just talked to my dad and he got it from my g-aunt, who got it from my g-gma, and he was told by the aunt that it belonged to her grandmother, which would make it at least 5 generations in my family, and my g-gma was born ca. 1877, so it is now identified to her mother.  

I will give an additional detail, in that the handle is not like any other handle I've seen, and my family owns lots of old passed down cast iron.  The handle has a raised 'edge' on the outer edge, and then slants to a 'v' groove, and then has an edge that forms the eye of the handle that mirrors the one on the outer edge.  I sure do wish I had a digital camera so i could show this thing off.  It is probably the nicest piece of cast iron I've ever seen.  ( I ain't braggin, it's just looks like a master blacksmith forged it yesterday and made the cooking surface look like black glass)

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 12:41:12 PM »
Clark,
Do you have a friend who has a digital camera and would be willing to take some photos for you?  They could email them to you and, from there, you can post them if they are not too large or just send them on to me and I'll tell you what I know.
Is it a skillet or a griddle that you have?  Some people use the terms interchangeably but they are really different items.
I have about 100 early skillets with few being the same.  There is a huge variation among early pans from the large number of foundries there were in the 19th century.
Steve

Clark_B.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 12:07:40 AM »
I'll have to send them via email.

Clark_B.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 11:54:49 PM »
Steve, I tried to send the images to the email you provided, but AOL bounced them back to me.  I think I got these images down to a size where they will work here.  Until I figure out how everything works don't be shocked if I make 3 postings with images.

This is the handle

Clark_B.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 11:56:47 PM »
The #7 marking

Clark_B.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2004, 11:58:38 PM »
The bottom, with the small raised lines, that you IDed form me

Clark_B.

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 12:01:47 AM »
Well that last one didn't show those sprue lines very well so I'll add another

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 05:11:50 AM »
I see them!  Looks like a griddle and a neat one at that.  Unknown maker to me.
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 12:47:18 PM »
Clark,
I do recognize your griddle (not skillet) but have not found out who made them.  I think they come from the midwest area and are common for their age.  The same handle appears on a lot of early skillets with very narrow and deep double pouring lips.  The casting quality is not top notch and has a distinctive look.  There are several DIFFERENT skillets that look much alike but not enough to have been made by the same maker so I presume that there were several makers of this style.  When I say the casting quality is not top notch I have to say the same about "most" early griddles as I have not found many that are finely cast as are some early skillets.  Your pan probably dates to the 1870 to 1900 period.  Value is very little and, in most cases, similar ones on ebay go begging for $5-10.  Thanks for the pictures as that is really the only way to identify these unmarked pans.  If you are ever posting skillet photos try to show the area where the handle joins the skillet bowl from underneath and the pouring lips or any other details.
Steve

Clark_B.

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 04:09:09 AM »
Thanks Steve, now I can let Dad know the approximate age.  Looks like I guessed more correctly than he did, but then again, I do enjoy studying the latter 19th century more than he does.  The value of the thing is unimportant, as for some unknown reason, cast iron cookware seems to be the only thing passed down in my family, and it is just sentimental value.  I bet in the whole closet full of the stuff my Dad has, there isn't one piece of old Wagner or Griswald.  And it's all at least 3 generations old, except for a couple of pieces my Dad bought.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 04:10:25 AM by Clark_B. »

moosejaw

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2004, 10:57:12 AM »
Clark,

I bought a piece that is a dead ringer for the one you have, except mine is a #7.  It is a skillet griddle, and I think I paid $14 for it.  Makes a terrific omelet pan.