Author Topic: Carracteristics of mid 19th Century ironware  (Read 1431 times)

Clark_B.

Carracteristics of mid 19th Century ironware
« on: March 29, 2004, 09:16:43 PM »
Ok, I am posting this as a favor for some friends of mine, that would like to know what to look for in mid 19th century cast iron skillets and griddles, namely 1850-70s.  Steve told me that the bottom casting was carracteristic of 1870-1900 styles, was there an earlier style that they should be on the lookout for?  I figure if anyone would know they would be on this forum.

Steve_Stephens

Re: Carracteristics of mid 19th Century ironware
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 12:40:47 AM »
Clark,
It's the bottom gate mark you should  be looking for.  Styles were somewhat different in the 19th century and changed all during the time period.  I think it is hard to determine age very closely but I always hope to get within about 20 years of when it was made.  Bottom gated pieces were probably made early in the 20th century also but I have nothing to back that up except that there probably was quite a bit of overlap in casting methods and styles among the very many older foundries.  When the early pieces are marked the typestyle used was often distinctive to the period.  Look for handles that are usually different than 20th century pieces; single pouring lips or none but some will have double pouring lips on skillets.  I think it takes time to learn what to look for.  A new book should be out in the next year dealing with early iron cookware.  Wish I could be more informative but it's been all a guessing game with me and I still can't date too well.
Steve

Troy_Hockensmith

Re: Carracteristics of mid 19th Century ironware
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 10:05:40 AM »
I agree with Steve, I tend to refer to time frames as transition periods. Ears, bails, handles etc all come into play. It just takes alot of looking and nothing beats holding something in your hands. You have to hold a lot of iron to even start to get good at it. I haven't yet but I keep trying.