Author Topic: Wagner Chuck Wagon DO  (Read 6249 times)

Marilyn_Travers

Wagner Chuck Wagon DO
« on: May 01, 2004, 10:25:55 PM »
My find today!  On bottom Wagner Ware Sidney O. Dutch Oven & the number 11. No pn.  In excellant condition. Almost forgot the three legs. No lid. Would anyone know circa and if it has any value? It's a beautiful piece.

Thanks,
Marilyn   :)

jcbb

Re: Wagner Chuck Wagon DO
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 12:19:50 AM »
can u show a pic????

Marilyn_Travers

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 06:18:57 AM »
I'll try to send picture if I can figure out how to do it. Lucky I can turn this on & off.

Troy_Hockensmith

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 01:36:17 PM »
If it's the one I think it is they were made up until WW II. SO it's pretty safe to say it was at least befor the 40's. A picture would confirm it. They really are nice ovens. Good find. Wish I had an 11. LOL.

Marilyn_Travers

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 09:30:13 PM »
 :) Thanks for the info Troy. Taken pictures but have to find how to do it on the forum.
Marilyn  8)

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 05:02:39 AM »
just make a post and use the ATTACH feature at the bottom of the box where you write your message.  PIx size must be under 60kB for now, but that is about to change to unlimited size.
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Troy_Hockensmith

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 09:35:23 AM »
Make sure you add some text in the text block when you do the attachment as that got me the other day and I received an error and had to redo it.  

Marilyn_Travers

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 09:34:15 PM »
Will give it another try

Marilyn_Travers

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 09:38:34 PM »
Sorry only one came through. I'm learning.

Marilyn_Travers

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 09:47:25 PM »
This is the one I wanted to send first.

moosejaw

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2004, 04:24:32 AM »
Nice buy, Marilyn!  Did you get the lid with it?  I am envious!!!!

Marilyn_Travers

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2004, 08:28:23 AM »
 :D  No lid but for $30 didn't think I could go wrong.

Troy_Hockensmith

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2004, 11:09:30 AM »
Yes, that is one of the old original Wagners. The #9 I have is finished on the inside. These are really nice pieces. Pre 1941 is the best I can do. Will be tough to find a lid as they are only marked with a # and the handle is the only real identifier.  

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2004, 11:27:01 AM »
With no catalog number (1301) on the pot and no stylized logo (came out in late teens?) I think the pot is pre c.1924.  Or, perhaps, Wagner never changed or updated the pattern to include the catalog number which appears by the 1924 catalog.  Also, Troy, did Wagner change to a more usual bail handle ears on their later dowlegs?  I don't know for sure but it seems to me that I've see some Wagner dowlegs with the usual style ears or pot handles.
Steve

Troy_Hockensmith

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2004, 11:55:26 AM »
Very possible Steve and I would like to confirm that but I haven't seen enough of these to tell you. I have never seen one but that doesn't mean they didn't change the style.  

Offline Brian Vick

• WAGS member
  • WagnerWare the other cast iron!
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2004, 01:30:18 PM »
Guess I'll join the frey,
I have a #10 block WAGNER (no quotation marks) D/O dowleg with a slant Griswold  no p/n lid that fits the D/O but the bail would'nt
fit over the lid. Sooooo the person who had it prior to me tried to file the lid rim down so the bail would  fit over the lid.

This did not solve the problem. The lid woud make a good user if I could find the right lid for my D/O

Troy, What does the lid look like for my WAGNER D/O? Do you have any idea?
Thanks,
Brian

Troy_Hockensmith

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2004, 04:53:36 PM »
Brian,
Your oven is a Griswold patent oven made in Sidney and off the top of my head I think the only markings is the #10 on the lid. I pretty sure they shouldn't have the logo but if the foundry had some left over slant logo lids without ERIE or a pattern number like you find on the PN 310's it doesn't mean they wouldn't have used them. The oven that's pictured is an original Wagner from well before they got the actual griswold patent.

I really should get this all in a book. I'm just having trouble finding a round tuit.