Author Topic: Andresen questions  (Read 6370 times)

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
Andresen questions
« on: July 05, 2004, 08:42:47 AM »
I bought a Andresen W/I like the one pictured on p. 158 red book. It has some 7" home made handles they look terrible. Anyone have one with original handles? I would like to know the length of the exposed part of the handle. I want to make  one's to look original for my W/I display. Also bought a Andresen Plett pan. It look's like the one pictured p.144 red book with the early style handle, only it's marked Alfred Andresen Plett pan, Minneapolis, Minn # 2980. Did Griswold make any with this style handle marked Griswold? If not ,they should have. It's much easier to handle than the Gris 2980 with the shorter handle.
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

Offline Clark Rader

• Forever in our hearts!
  • apaninhand
Re: Andresen questions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 08:56:58 AM »
Lucky guy, he got this and more at a yard sale. I was't with him that day. lucky Ed, oh well (Ed good find)
clark
What I know, I keep forgetting.

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 09:20:03 AM »
Oh yeah Clark, I forgot to tell ya he let me go through the iron he had in his basement. I have a whole pile he's saving for me as I get the extra cash. What's so funny is I search far and wide for iron and this guy lives less than a mile from my house.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 09:59:28 AM »
Ed, I know a guy, not too far from you at all, who has a whole barn and part of another barn, full of cast iron. He is a very different kind of fellow. Lives by himself and has tons of cast iron. I went to his place one time. I didn't have much money but did buy one piece. I got his phone number and I have called him on at least three different occasions to try to get back but he always has some lame excuse, like he's too busy, got company, or not feeling well. He don't care if he sells it or not. The day I went I did go through some stuff. I went through one barn and just walked along the aisles. I saw a number 14 Wagner Pie skillet. The other barn he just let me stick my head in. I haven't given up on him yet.

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 07:25:32 PM »
Ed,  just by chance,  Jenny and I bought paddles of that waffle iron this week.   Problem,  the waffle iron has two different handles.  The one on the top is 3 1/2" and the one on the bottom is 3 3/8"   I can't find my red book.  I know,  bad me :(,  but which one is like the one in the red book.   Hope this helps you.

Will P. [smiley=smoking.gif]

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 07:48:27 PM »
Will,
If either of your handles are original I would say it would be the top one.  
Ed,  I think some or many of these irons came with the straight wood handles that should be identical to those on Griswold irons as far as length, etc.  I don't have any of these handles on irons anymore to get you measurements but used to make great looking replacements by using hardwood dowel stock available in most hardware stores.  Use the size that is just too large to fit into the sockets.   I would "turn" them down in size just where they go into the socket by using a disc sander and twirling the dowel at the edge of the disc.  Then round off the end with the sander and spray lightly with black paint.  You can use a wire nail with the appropriate sized head and cut it off short enough to nail through the small hole on the iron and into the handle.  That's how the wood handles were attached.

Never have seen a Griswold plette pan with the longer handle used on the one you mentioned.
Steve

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 09:36:57 PM »
The one mine matches in the red book has straight handles with the acorn hinge, paddles 981, 999 and some ghost writing under the name. I haven't taken the the time to make out what it say's yet. I have a Gris straight wood handle W/I I will use it for a guide.

moosejaw

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 06:51:18 AM »
Ed,

I have a lot of Andresen pieces.  Let me dig through my stuff and look.  If I find what you need, I will post pics and measurements.  

moosejaw

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 04:22:09 AM »
Well, to start, Will, neither of your handles are the correct ones, if the paddles are marked 981 and 999.  It looks like your top handle is one that goes with an Andresen KrumKake iron.  I just checked mine, and it looks the same as your top one.  The correct handles for the waffle iron are straight, with no carving.  I think they could easily be made from dowels.  The end of each one is rounded and they are painted a gloss black.  

I was interested in the ghost writing under the Andresen name, Ed.  I checked all of mine, and none have ghost writing!  

I took the handle out, so you could see what it looks like.  It is exactly 4 3/16  inches long.  The diameter is 5/8 inch.  I would take the paddle to the store, and see if you can wiggle a 5/8" dowel into the paddle.  The part that goes into the paddle is a little compressed, I suppose from forcing it in.  Also in the photo is a pic of the nail.....okay, I'm trying to help Ed with his authenticity.  As I said before, the handle is rounded toward the end, and the rounding starts 1/4" from the bottom of the dowel.  I will leave the handle out for a few days, so if you need me to trace or scan it and email it to you, let me know.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 04:39:06 AM by moosejaw »

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 12:32:34 PM »
Well, to start, Will, neither of your handles are the correct ones, if the paddles are marked 981 and 999.  It looks like your top handle is one that goes with an Andresen KrumKake iron.  I just checked mine, and it looks the same as your top one.  The correct handles for the waffle iron are straight, with no carving.

Marty,
That top handle on Will's iron could be correct as Griswold did use the profiled handle on waffle irons after the straight ones and before the wire handles.  The rounded or straight handles were not specific to either the waffle or wafer irons but were used probably on both in a certain time period after the straight ones.  Without seeing an exactly matching iron with the correct handle one would not necessarily know what the proper handle was for an iron missing its handles.
Steve

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 07:13:06 PM »
Thank's for the info and pic Marty, I should be able to duplicate that easily. I will try to make  out the ghost mark this weekend and let you know what it say's. Just to tired to stare at it this evening, been pouring concrete all day.

moosejaw

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2004, 06:27:53 AM »
Your welcome Ed.  If you need anymore info, let me know.  

Steve, we are talking about Andresen waffle irons, not Griswolds.  I know Griswold made these, but I have NEVER seen a profiled handle on the Andresens that we are talking about.  I have three of these, and all have the straight handle.  I have looked at countless others on Ebay, and have never seen a profiled handle on this particular pattern number.  I am not saying they don't exist, but I have never seen them.  I still don't think Will's handles are original to his piece.  Now some of the pieces with Western Importing on them will have the profiled handles.  But I am specifically talking about this particular pattern number for Andresen.  

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2004, 12:35:43 PM »
You could be right about that Marty.   My memory is dim on what I used to see years ago.   If the Andresen wafer irons were made during the period that Griswold used the profiled handles I would expect them to have been used on those irons.  But maybe the wafer irons are earlier than the profiled handles?   I suppose that one could buy replacement handles if needed and that may be how Will's iron came up with those handles.
Steve