Author Topic: Need Some Help on This One  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
Need Some Help on This One
« on: June 24, 2009, 08:30:30 PM »
This is a recent purchase from Ebay, but I have no ideal who made it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Skillet size 16 and measures 16-1/2" Lip to Lip. Weighs more than 16 pounds. Different kind of assist handle, it is round and seems like it might be placed in a cradle (why I don't know).

Thanks in advance, Sam
Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of it!

Offline Ray Benash

• WAGS member
Re: Need Some Help on This One
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »
Sorry can't help with mfg. But that is a big one for having a single handle like that. The assist looks almost like it was supposed to sit down into something, but maybe that just the photo angle. Is it round as it looks?
Ray

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 09:13:29 PM »
Sorry can't help with mfg. But that is a big one for having a single handle like that. The assist looks almost like it was supposed to sit down into something, but maybe that just the photo angle. Is it round as it looks?

Ray, not trying to be a smart a$$ but below is a quote from my original post:

Different kind of assist handle, it is round and seems like it might be placed in a cradle (why I don't know).

;) ;) ;)

Offline Jerry Cermack

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
I think these have been discussed a couple of times a long time ago, but cant remember any more than that.   Might find something on search

PS.....I seem to remember the opinion at the time was the rod type protrusion probably wasnt an assist handle.  As heavy as they are, it was thought there was hardly any way finger pressure on that rod would keep the skillet from rotating in your hand if it tipped some.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:19:57 PM by Jerry_Cermack »
Jerry

Offline Roger Barfield

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 10:24:02 PM »
Sam, I saw one like it one time that had a handle that had a type of cap that fit on that end.  The cap attached to the piece on the end of the skillet and the wire handle with wood grip attached to it.  No idea if it was original or a make do.  
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Offline Tom Penkava

• WAGS member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:14:19 PM »
I remember that old post where these were discused, think it was on one of the Lodge discussions, may have been on the members side.

Offline C. Perry Rapier

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 11:25:42 PM »
I have one of those skillets. I gave 65.00 for it.

OH, and that little round assist handle. I do remember sometime, like Roger is saying, about something on that or something, maybe it was what Roger is talking about, but, I'll tell you one thing, you will not pick it up without using the assist handle, by that, I mean you will not just reach down and pick it up by the handle like you would a number 8 skillet. Maybe POPEYE could.  :o
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:33:56 PM by butcher »

Offline Sam Roberts

• Forever in our hearts!
  • Lodge what? !!!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 12:22:05 AM »
Just call me Popeye then.... I found the old threads, so until that time it will just be another mystery. I've got several of those. Thanks to all..Sam

Offline Ray Benash

• WAGS member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 07:38:07 AM »

Ray, not trying to be a smart a$$ but below is a quote from my original post:

Different kind of assist handle, it is round and seems like it might be placed in a cradle (why I don't know).

;) ;) ;)

No insult taken! Got so excited looked at the pictures and never went back to the post!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 07:38:25 AM by rbenash »
Ray

Offline Roger Barfield

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 10:41:32 AM »
Sam, they also made a number 20 if I remember correctly, now that would take Popeye to lift by the handle. ;D
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.