Author Topic: Looking for bread pan  (Read 5407 times)

AlasKen

Looking for bread pan
« on: July 02, 2009, 11:15:28 PM »
Hi all, I am new to the site and posted this in the intro page before realizing that there may be a better spot for it.  If I am in the wrong area please let me know.  

I am trying to locate an item that my Grandmother used but I am not sure what to call it and hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.  My grandmother cooked a loaf of cornbread almost everyday on her stove top using what I believe to be an aluminum hinged pan.  It was approx 6" X 2 3/4" X 1 1/2" rounded on the ends.  Similar to an omelet pan.  Keep in mind it has been over 30 years since I saw it and the measurements are my best recollection.  We would heat the pan on the stove top and mix the batter while it was heating.  Pour it in hot bacon grease, close the lid, wait about 10 minutes and flip it.  When it was brown we would eat.  I miss those simple days.

I want to try and find one of the pans to use while camping and boating.  I would be the hit to cook up fresh bread each day.  I could even do it on the Coleman propane stove.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.  If I am completely confused let me know as well.  I look forward to getting to know others on the sight.

Thanks in advance.

AlasKen

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
Re: Looking for bread pan
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 10:09:39 AM »
You'll find similar ones on eBay under the Silver Seal and Guardian Service names.

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 10:29:24 AM »
Welcome to WAGS!!!  You came to the right place to ask questions.

It wasn't too long ago that Perry, I believe it was him anyway, posted a few pictures of one of these that was deeper and there was quite a debate about whether it was an omelet pan or not.  I want to say that it was around 3" deep total but I am not for sure.

Perry are you out there and was it you that had that "omelet" pan??

AlasKen

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 06:34:42 PM »
Welcome to WAGS!!!  You came to the right place to ask questions.

It wasn't too long ago that Perry, I believe it was him anyway, posted a few pictures of one of these that was deeper and there was quite a debate about whether it was an omelet pan or not.  I want to say that it was around 3" deep total but I am not for sure.

Perry are you out there and was it you that had that "omelet" pan??

Thanks for the welcome.

I am unable to look at Ebay right now but will check the link provided by Jerry tonight.  I believe that the pan my Grandmother had may have been about 3" deep.  It's made a loaf that was around 6 or 8" long, 3 or 4" wide and rounded on the ends with straight sides.  The loaf would have been about 2"+ high.  It was hinged on the side with 2 wooden handles about 8" long.  My granddad would take it to the shop every couple of years and clean it with his wire wheel grinder as it would get a black buildup from the propane stove top.  The inside was black and seasoned.  the inside never saw water that I know of.  A damp paper towel and it was ready to go.  It saw use almost everyday.  My aunt ended up with it.    

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 08:57:48 AM »
Here's a picture of a Super Maid one with some recipes from a 1930's catalog.  The picture is a little dark, but the wooden handles are to the right.

tom

AlasKen

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 10:46:06 AM »
Mystery solved.
The link on Ebay from Jerry and the article from from Tom shows a picture of the item I am looking for.   I thank everyone for the research they did to help out a stranger from the north.  Now that I know what I am looking for it will be easier to use Google to see if I can track one down.  Again thanks.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:06:33 AM by AlasKen »

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 05:13:16 AM »
Man... you guys are Goooooooood!!!
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Offline Ray Benash

• WAGS member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 08:06:10 AM »
Nice research! I'm not a huge fan of hinged "omelet pans" - the half moon style. Just wouldn't make omelets in them, to much trouble IMHO. But I like the utility of this one. I.E., as a loaf/bread pan. Something about a half moon meatloaf or loaf of bread just wouldn't be right  ;)

I can see why you/your Mother liked it so much. I'd want to be able to put it in the oven though - wood handles might prevent that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:06:58 AM by rbenash »
Ray

Offline Katrina Gomez

• I love cast iron. :)
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 11:34:39 AM »
Man... you guys are Goooooooood!!!

I couldn't agree with you more, everyone here is awesome!