Author Topic: Griswold slant TM without heat ring  (Read 3604 times)

eldonn

Griswold slant TM without heat ring
« on: July 31, 2009, 04:24:29 PM »
I have recently spotted a #8 Griswold skillet slant TM without a heat ring.
This supprised me because all the other slant TM pans I've seen had
the ring. Is this piece a tranition piece? I don't see the large block TM
pans with heat rings. Or, am I not looking hard enough? Remembering
advise that the older Griswold's have thinner walls I'm thinking I might
purchase this instead of the large TM #8 skillet. I use a glass top range.
Will I have a problem damaging the range top with a CL pan with or without
a heat ring? Should I sell the electric and put in a gas range? Thanks much, ~Don

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
Re: Griswold slant TM without heat ring
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:42:02 PM »
IMO the smooth bottom slant logo skillets are somewhat hard to find.  The Blue Book lists the value of the #8 skillet @ $40-50 and I think I would even give $40 for one if it were in good shape and I am cheap.  According to the circa in the Blue Book these were produced from 1939-44 during roughly the same period as the small logo early handle skillets so they would not be a transition piece, I don't think.  They did make the large block EPU (Erie Penn. U.S.A.) skillets with the heat ring and some of these are very valuable, the 4 and the 5.  These are out there as well they are just harder to find that the smooth bottom large block logos.

eldonn

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 08:49:48 PM »
Hi Jeff, Just to make sure I understand your message, are you saying the slant
TM skillet without heat rings is newer than a large block skillet? Can you tell me
a good book to get so I don't waste peoples and your time? Thanks, ~Don

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 06:27:29 AM »
This variation was only made in sizes 2,3,5,8,9. Thats all I know of anyways.
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 11:25:42 AM »
I have seen a few # 3's purported to be the smooth bottom slant but under close examination they were all the heat ring variety with a weak worn down heat ring. I have my doubts if the # 3 slant smooth bottom shown in the BB is the genuine article. The genuine smooth bottom slant skillets do not have the slightest hint of a heat ring and seem to have come from a smooth bottom pattern, not a reworked heat ring pattern. I have not seen a smooth bottom slant 3 and would really like to see one in person or some good closeup pictures of one. I only know of one example of the # 9 but there has to be others out there. Now just to find one.

I also wonder about the dates of the slant smooth bottom skillet following the large block production. Does it make sense that the old slant logo trademark would be re-introduced in limited sizes between the large and small block production? Or along with the small block production if the dates in the BB are right. Could be but ???
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 01:42:08 PM by HARPANS »

Offline Blake Williams

• WAGS member
  • WAGS! The heartbeat of cast iron collecting.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 01:06:06 PM »
I do agree with  Harry, I have seen 3's that were said to be smooth and had the heat ring, if I remember correctly the one shown in the Blue Book is a 3 with worn down heat ring.  I actually had one, I wonder why the 3's heat ring was so worn down?  Any ideas?