Author Topic: MUFFIN PANS  !!!!!!  (Read 10592 times)

ALBERT_HUTCHISON

MUFFIN PANS  !!!!!!
« on: July 25, 2009, 09:39:16 PM »
Hi all. I would like to talk about muffin pans. Last count I had 8 Griswold ones.  I have had a few others over the years but sold them along the way. I have come to be more of a collector of the muffin pans and the different versions of each. Even though I at this time own all griswold I really like g.f.filley with the fancy way they do thier handles and raised lettering. I really wish I would of kept the few that I had come across, but then I did not collect cast Iron. Besides the muffin pan that I collect I have recently started to put together a slant lettered skillet set. What can I say I think they are the nicest looking griswold logo made. I also have other cast iron pcs but that is for another day. What do you think is the nicest muffin pan or what is the nicest one you own take a pic and show me lets talk muffin pans or what ever cast iron pc you are proud of. And just in case  ( Will ) reads this alum.  muffin pans do count. ;D ;D ;D ;D

ALBERT_HUTCHISON

Re: MUFFIN PANS  !!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 09:44:55 PM »
pics of my pans.

Offline Will Person

• Back from the big house
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 10:26:44 PM »
Thanks Albert.  I too do like the muffin pans.   Can't afford the G. F. Filleys either.   I do have cast iron muffin pans,  but have strayed off to aluminum as you know.   I have a real hard time selling things.   So I still have most that I have bought.   Time to hang them on the walls now.

Will 8-)

ALBERT_HUTCHISON

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 10:54:17 PM »
Thanks Albert.  I too do like the muffin pans.   Can't afford the G. F. Filleys either.   I do have cast iron muffin pans,  but have strayed off to aluminum as you know.   I have a real hard time selling things.   So I still have most that I have bought.   Time to hang them on the walls now.

Will 8-)

Will, as you can see by the dust on a few of the pans I have I already hang a few on the wall. ::) To me there is so much choice in muffin pans unlike the skillets. Don't get me wrong I do like the skillets but besides the logo a skillet is a skillet. Not so with all the diffrent muffin pans. Size , shape, pattern, it is almost endless, a colectors dream or nightmare depending which way one looks at it.

Charlee

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 11:21:48 PM »
I've managed to score a couple of good ones...the Griswold #14 I sold, and I'm still whining about it! ;) ;D   I've kept all that I've managed to get my hands on since then, but I still don't have too many...

I have a couple of #9's, a #10, a #8, a #11, a 262 corn, a 273 corn...and a bunch that aren't Griswold....a few gatemarked, a few John Wright....
It's funny....my favorite is the handled BSR cornstick pan that reminds me of a dragonfly... :)

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 08:57:37 AM »
Albert I like the Griswold 6 cup popover pan that you have there.  I have a couple (7) of these and I really really like them for cooking for just the two of us.  My favorite pans are the Griswold cornstick pans though!

ALBERT_HUTCHISON

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 09:54:58 AM »
Charlee & Jeff nice to hear in from you 2 on this subject.  :) So far I have had in Griswold a #1, #3, couple of #5, #9, NES #11, #18, couple #22, #32, & a 273. I have also had in G.F. FILLEY #12 & #5. Every place I go antique store, flea market, & auction I am always looking for a new one to add to my collection. Jeff as to cooking in them I must confess I do not I like them for their looks not their fuction. I do use my skillets,griddles, & dutch ovens though I hope that counts. ;D ;D ;D If you don't mind could you take a pic of your muffin pans I sure would like to see them and everyone who reads this sure will. Do you or anyone else know how many G.F. Filley muffin pan sizes and kinds there are I sure would like to know just in case I do get them all which is a goal of mine that and the Griswold ones I think they will keep me busy finding for a long while.

Offline C. B. Williams

• Administrator
  • WAGS: The heartbeat of collecting cookware!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 10:17:29 PM »
Albert:
   As you might know, I only collect Griswold. I suppose my 2 favortites are the #50 and #100 hearts and star pans I have which can be seen on the "eye candy" section. I also like my #270 and #280 corn stick pans which have the alternating ear cups. Also any pan with the "open" casting work, especially the turks head patterns very much appeal to me.
   I guess I have about 25 that I have bought over the 35 or 40 years I have been interested in cast iron.
   These different pans make some really interesting cornbread muffins that can be fun to serve and create a conversation.
Hold still rabbit, so I can cook you.

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 06:44:02 PM »
As per your request Albert I have taken a picture of the muffin pans that I have handy right now.  We know we are going to have to move soon and we don't have the room to display everything like I want to so we have a puch of iron packed up in boxes.  I just took pictures of everything that we have displayed in our front rooms.  In case your wondering we live in a vintage 1970's student housing facility!!!

Oh see that square skillet??  My mother-in-law picked that one up at an antique store for $28.50!!

ALBERT_HUTCHISON

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »
Jeff thank you for the pics. Your collection looks awsome one day mine will get there, I hope...very nice buy your your mother in-law came across . Mine to found me a very nice wagner dutch oven at a unbeleive price.

Offline Jeff Seago

• Gotta Love WAGS!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 11:50:13 PM »
Albert the good news is that my collection is in its infancy.  I have only been a serious collector for a year and am severely limited by the cost of college tuition!!!  I know that you have some very nice pieces in your collection and I bet that you have a very nice one as of right now!  

Oh yeah I have a ton of user pieces that I have purchased dirty and they are not in the best of condition but I got them cheap so I will keep all of them.  Most of the ones in the pictures I do not use because I have a large collection of users.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:51:46 PM by jeffandmary »

Offline Ed Allspaugh

• LOOKING FOR IRON !
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 08:01:37 AM »
Early Alum Senior WW KKK pan. Note the "Ks" on this pan are not the ears of corn. Thought I'd share it, kinda different than most you see. Will Person probably has a stack of them.  ;)  Think they show an iron pan in Blue book.
Gray Iron-- Old as antiquity, new as tomorrow.

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 08:20:08 AM »
It's tough to pick a favorite.  I think if I can only pick one it would not quite be a muffin pan, but instead a popover pan.  It's the modern (1984) John Wright Lion and Lamb popover pan.  Looks great on the wall and makes an incredible figural popover with lion and lamb faces.  I'll usually use 2 or 3 pans when baking just because it takes about 40 minutes to cook and they go fast.  The pans are easily found on eBay and usually pretty reasonable.  There are asian knockoffs that are smaller without clear lettering.

My second choice would be the very common Wagner Golf Ball pan.  They usually marked with just a letter F.  Again very common and cheap.  I like to use them to make cornbread (northern style cake).  They end up as bite sized morsels that take no more than two bites.   I again usually use 3 pans at once.

Tom
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 08:43:39 AM by tomnn2000 »

Offline Tom Neitzel

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 08:25:13 AM »
Here's what the popovers look like.

I do have a normal complement of the common R&E and Waterman pans, along with some Shepard's Hardware, but I tend to use these kinds of pans and have settled on those I mentioned.

Tom

ALBERT_HUTCHISON

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 12:04:05 PM »
TOM , THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT AND THE PICS. YOU ARE RIGHT THAT LION AND LAMB PAN SURE IS NEAT , AND AFTER SEEING YOUR PICS NOW I AM HUNGRY  ;D ;D.. I THANK EVERYONE WHO HAS REPLIED TO THIS TOPIC THREAD OF MUFFIN PANS. I KNEW I COULD DEPEND ON YOU GUYS TO MAKE A VERY INTERESTING TOPIC FOR ME AND OTHER COLLECTORS. I AM EXCITED TO READ EVERY NEW POST AND SEE YOUR PICS.

ED, THANK FOR YOUR ALUM. KKK PAN PICS. I HAVE COME ACROSS ONE OF THE CAST IRON ONES RECENTLY BUT THE SHOP OWNER ALMOST WANTS YOUR SOUL TO BUY IT. :'( :'(..

Offline Harry Riva

• Retired and trying to keep Molly happy
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 06:09:48 PM »
Albert, Note the tab handles on Ed's KKK pan. That's a lot harder to find than the KKK Senior pan with the oval handles with a hang hole and really hard to find in aluminum.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 09:51:39 PM by HARPANS »

fatfutures

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 11:39:35 AM »
So, I've got everything laid out and ready for pictures. Wouldn't you know it... battery is dead dead dead! So... while I'm zapping a little life into the batteries, I thought I'd list out what I've got.

All Griswold:

#3 var 6
#6 Gem var 4
#6 Vienna var 3
#7 var 2
#9 12 cup var 4
#10 var 11
#10 var 14
#11 var 3
#11 var 8
#11 var 11
#14 var 4
#17 var 2
#262 var 1

*** I'll add pics as soon as my batteries permit.

fatfutures

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 01:30:24 PM »
OK...we are a go with pictures!