Author Topic: Victor skillets...  (Read 19911 times)

Rich

Victor skillets...
« on: December 19, 2002, 07:10:36 PM »
Were all Victor Skillets made by Griswold?  

Some are clearly marked as Griswold but the early ones have only the name Victor on them.

Does anyone know the history of these skillets?

Steve_Stephens

Re: Victor skillets...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2002, 07:47:39 PM »
Well, the history of VICTOR skillets has yet to be written.
Maybe this will start it:

From my observations and information, however little, from Griswold catalogs I would say that Griswold made ALL Victor skillets that have a pattern number on them.  This would preclude the early VICTOR odorless type skillets with the air cooled handle.  Some people have thought that they may have been made by Griswold but I say absolutely not.

Griswold's Victor skillets were made to fill a void for cheaper priced skillets to the trade to compete with other cheaper or lessor quality pans on the market at the time.  I deduce that statement from what Wagner says in their catalog about their similiar line of NATIONAL skillets.  Other similiar pans were made by Wapak (Oneta) and Favorite (Miami).

I have not seen a Victor without a pattern number on the bottom but I have seen them with a style very similiar to the earlier ERIE skillets with the extra thickness around the outer top of the side of the skillet.  This would indicate the Victor skillets go back into the 1890's or early 1900's.  Nickel plating was done on some of the early Victor skillets.   Made only in sizes 7-9 for most of the time, a 6 was added in the later 20's and the 5 added by 1932.  Victor skillets seemed to have been discontinued by Griswold in the 1930's.

Early Victor skillets are marked only VICTOR on the bottom with  pattern and trade numbers also.  Perhaps, in the teens, additional writing was added (The Griswold Mfg. Co.) across the center of the bottom.  Then, in the 20's (?) the full writing was added including ERIE, PA, USA and CAST IRON SKILLET.

Similiar skillets to the Victor pans seem to have been made by Griswold with only the trade and pattern numbers on the bottom such as the 754 and 755 pans.  Again, some of these were nickel plated.  Were they like the unmarked "IRON MOUNTAIN" line of skillets and other cookware that Griswold made?

Many of the later No.7 Victors have the "7" on top of the handle upside down.  These are not Monday morning/Friday afternoon mistakes but may have been a slight mistake, left uncorrected, in one of the patterns for the later No.7 skillets.  The upside down 7 may be more prevalent than the rightside up one from what I have seen and there is no reason that either should be worth more than the other.

The Victor 5 is the most valuable and rare followed by the No.6.  Both are the fully marked versions only.  You will notice differences in the undersides of the handles among the many variations of Victor skillets.

What does the name "VICTOR" mean?   I don't know but it was not to celebrate victory in WW I as the skillets were first made well before the start of that war.  I would guess that Griswold just picked a name that would sound good and it had no meaning unless, possibly, that Griswold was the "Victor" in the rush to see the most and best iron cookware made and sold.  I doubt that we will ever know the real reason for the pick of that name.

No covers were ever made for Victor skillets unlike the Wagner National pans for which skillet covers were made.

Wow, that's more than I ever knew about Victors.  My first piece of iron cookware was my familie's c.1920 Victor No.8 skillet so I have a fondness for them.

Can anyone add more info?
Steve

Offline Greg Stahl

• Administrator
  • Ole Scratch
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2002, 07:48:07 PM »
Look on the Foundry list for the NON-Griswold Victor skillet, as I have a pix up for the non-Griswold version.
"NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!" Alice Cooper.

Rich

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2002, 08:08:20 PM »
Steve, you're a walking encyclopedia...   ;D  

I've seen the odorless design with gate mark,(I think) ventilated handle, patent date and odorless design...

And wondered if there was a connection to the Griswold line...

Greg, I'll go check out the foundry list.  Thanks

Steve_Stephens

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2002, 08:13:12 PM »
Rich,
No possibly connection between the odorless Victor skillets and Griswold's Victor skillets that I can tell.  There are no features or design of the odorless pan that is similiar to any piece that Griswold made (except possibly Griswold's unmarked ODORLESS SKILLET but its construction was very different).  Just as there is no connection between either of the above and the Victor Talking Machine.
Steve

Offline Christy Victor

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 10:06:25 PM »
Digging up a really old thread. I think I may have to find a Victor skillet, it's practically personalized for me!  How hard are they to find? Good users or just for display?

Offline Randy Eckstein

• WAGS member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 10:34:57 PM »
Hi Christy, they look nice on display, especially the fully marked ones.  Also great users, good finish, fairly light weight.  If you keep an eye out you can catch a fully marked #8 for under $40 on eBay.
The good chefs never burn anything--we call it "culinary brown"!!

Offline Christy Victor

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 05:14:09 PM »
You mention $40 for a fully marked #8, what about the Victor 8's that aren't fully marked?

Offline Randy Eckstein

• WAGS member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 06:14:47 PM »
You mention $40 for a fully marked #8, what about the Victor 8's that aren't fully marked?
Good price would be at or under $30, in the mid-$20's even better.
The good chefs never burn anything--we call it "culinary brown"!!

Offline Ken Gilbertsen

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 06:22:51 PM »
Great background on Victor.  I just saw a #8 while in Wisconsin over this past weekend/holiday.  It has only the Victor name on the bottom and I believe a pattern number as well.  There was no price on it, and the store owner could only take my name and offer to get back to me with the price once she reached the vendor who owned it.  Well, I got a call from her today - the price is $15.  She offered to hold it if I wanted to pay for it over the phone.  I did.  I like it for the fact that it's a Victor, and it should clean up nicely and be able to get used.

Offline Dwayne Henson

• Administrator
  • When the people fear their government, there is
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 04:37:29 PM »
If I remember correctly, Victor skillets had a shorter sidewall, than the Griswold marked skillets
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sandy Glenn

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 10:29:13 PM »
If I remember correctly, Victor skillets had a shorter sidewall, than the Griswold marked skillets
That's correct.  Same for the National's made by Wagner and the Miami's made by Favorite.
"Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"   E. Idle/M. Python